Ford Fusion Energi Forum

BECM Recall impact?

Marvin

I just received the letter from Ford regarding Safety Recall Notice 23S33 / NHTSA Recall 23V-440.

The letter says not to charge the battery fully. It goes on to say that Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving the vehicle. Reading between the lines it appears that until Ford has a fix for this problem the car should only be driven as a hybrid.

I am interested in hearing from other owners what they make of this situation.

Robert

I got my letter yesterday. It says "YOU SHOULD REFRAIN FROM CHARGING YOUR VEHCILE IMMEDIATELY TO MAINTAIN A LOWER CHARGE LEVEL IN THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERy, REDUICING THE RISK OF A LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER OR VEHICLE FIRE UNTIL A REMEDY IS AVAILABLE."  They do not give any idea of when the recall parts will be available. This defeats the whole purpose of me purchasing this vehicle.  I use it daily and charge it nightly. I only fill it up once every 3 months or so.  Gas is $4.50 a gallon!  Very disappointed with Ford. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, KTCALI said:

I got my letter yesterday. It says "YOU SHOULD REFRAIN FROM CHARGING YOUR VEHCILE IMMEDIATELY TO MAINTAIN A LOWER CHARGE LEVEL IN THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERy, REDUICING THE RISK OF A LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER OR VEHICLE FIRE UNTIL A REMEDY IS AVAILABLE."  They do not give any idea of when the recall parts will be available. This defeats the whole purpose of me purchasing this vehicle.  I use it daily and charge it nightly. I only fill it up once every 3 months or so.  Gas is $4.50 a gallon!  Very disappointed with Ford. 

I agree with you. Guess I will start parking my car outside away from everything else. One thing really concerning from the recall information:

On May 2, 2023, the issue returned to CCRG for review. Two additional fires occurred during the monitor period, both while a customer was driving the vehicle. At that time, the CCRG was aware of seven fires and 270 warranty claims resulting in a loss of motive power as a result of this concern.

Edited by likeaw

• 2 weeks later...

I ditto others comments. I appreciate Ford notifying us so we don’t burn up in a fire or die- but in the meantime- I WAS MORE THAN MAKING MY CAR PAYMENT from the gas I saved, from what I used to spend on gas a month (about $250-$300). I bought level 2 chargers and invested heavily in a PLUG IN hybrid so I could use it as such. 

Here's what I know...I found out a couple days ago about this issue (don't remember getting a letter in the mail). Ford manufacturer refused to provide a rental or replacement. They gave no information regarding when there will be a remedy. Lady at ford said no reimbursement for gas costs will be provided. I filed a complaint with nhtsa, which I believe all of us owners should do to put pressure on ford. Document any and all repairs or issues or lights that pop up on your vehicle. Hire an attorney if necessary to escalate the matter. Search up lemon laws in your state. Never buying a ford again

• 2 weeks later...

Did Ford modify the remedy description for this recall at https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/? It's currently suggesting that the high voltage battery will be replaced in addition to flashing the BECM software. I attached a screen shot for reference. Maybe this was already known to the group but I figured I'd post it just in case it's something new. 

Ford Recall 23S33.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2023 at 7:56 AM, Ryan said:

The remedy must be different based on when the car was produced.  I have a 2019 Fusion hybrid included in this recall and when I type in my VIN it says a remedy is not yet available.  https://www.ford.com/support/recalls-details/

Did Ford modify the remedy description for this recall at https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/? It's currently suggesting that the high voltage battery will be replaced in addition to flashing the BECM software. I attached a screen shot for reference. Maybe this was already known to the group but I figured I'd post it just in case it's something new. 

Ford Recall 23S33.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Overcharging Li-Ion batteries is really dangerous, hence the no charge directions.  Letting them sit discharged is bad for the batteries as well.  So either Ford replaces the hybrid battery or extends the warranty.  My guess is they beanies didn't like the cost of the replacement and caused the post to be yanked.  Should be interesting. Class action lawyer trolls likely salivating.