Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone know about the spare tire on the Energi?

jsamp

Does it have one? or did they sacrifice it for the larger battery? What about the standard 2013 FFH - does it have a spare and is it std size or compact? Thanks.

Really good question. I looked on the Fusion's spec page and didn't find anything about this:

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/specifications/view-all/

Well I found the answer to my own question: NO. The FFH and FFE do not have a spare tire. The standard Fusion has a mini-spare, and the Hybrids have a "tire mobility kit" whatever that means. I suspect it's a can of 'Fix-a-flat' and instructions to drive really slow.

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/compare-models/?models=se|hybrid|titanium#categoryPower_and_Handling

• 9 months later...

So if I get a flat tire I should call Ford's emergency road service? I am an older woman. I worry about this when the temperatures are over 100 degrees here, or even if they're not. There's no way I could/would fool with the Fix-A-Flat. 

The tire pump has two modes.  In one mode it is just a tire pump.  In the other mode it injects the fix-a-flat chemical into the tire.  If the flat was the result of a slow leak just repressurizing it is probably enough to get you to someplace that can help.  That said, calling for road service is probably the best option.  Especially if the tire was severly damaged or destroyed.  Be sure to tell the road service people that you don't have a spare so they bring the right equipment.

My last flat tire was around 40 years ago.

Thanks, Murphy, but I had 2 flat tires on my previous car within about a 6-month period - one time it was so hot I thought I was going to die before the help got to me. I wasn't driving off-road or through any construction sites. Prior to that, I can't remember when I last had a flat tire. I replaced the 2 flat tires with good Michelins and I will do the same with the ones on the Fusion Energi if/when they need replacing. 

Are run-flat tires available for the Fusion?  That would be the way to go.  I had run flats on my previous car, a BMW Z4 because there was no room in the trunk for any sort of spare. (My NRG trunk is spacious compared to the Z4) The only way I knew I had a flat was when the tire pressure light came on.  And since the sidewalls are built to provide a miminum amount of stability, there was a reduced risk of loss of control in the evernt of a blowout.

I was thinking I might get run flats when my OEM tires need replacing.

Over the past 14 years with my truck, I've had no less than 14 punctures and/or flat tires across multiple brands (Firestone and Good Year... Michelins are on the truck right now and I haven't had a flat with those... yet).  One tire of mine I had plugged at least 8 times.  Just about all of my flats were on the passenger side of the vehicle.  I guess you guys have street sweepers that go by quite regularly to sweep up debris that lays next to the curb, or Michigan just has WAY more vehicles that carry construction gear... or I pissed someone off in a past life. :)  I've been carrying a tire plug kit with a 12v air compressor with pliers so I don't have to deal with the spare.  I just pull the nail/bolt/object, plug it, inflate it, and it's happy.  I had multiple flats with my Focus too.

• 1 month later...

Whats a spare tire for again?  It's been at least 25 years since I've dealt with one.    Even if I had a spare tire, what's the use, when I have a cel phone in me pocket?

It depends on how much time you have to waste.  I can change a tire in 15 minutes by myself, while a wait for a service truck can delay you an hour or more.

Are run-flat tires available for the Fusion?  That would be the way to go.  I had run flats on my previous car, a BMW Z4 because there was no room in the trunk for any sort of spare. (My NRG trunk is spacious compared to the Z4) The only way I knew I had a flat was when the tire pressure light came on.  And since the sidewalls are built to provide a miminum amount of stability, there was a reduced risk of loss of control in the evernt of a blowout.

I was thinking I might get run flats when my OEM tires need replacing.

Run flat tires are quite pricey. I think they are also heavy (gas milage killers) and do not provide a nice ride.  http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/run-flat-tires-why-you-should-or-shouldnt-buy-them.html

If you don't run the tire down too far (change when you hit the wear bars) and you don't run over something you are not likely to have failure like the good old days.

Run flat tires are quite pricey. I think they are also heavy (gas milage killers) and do not provide a nice ride.  http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/run-flat-tires-why-you-should-or-shouldnt-buy-them.html

If you don't run the tire down too far (change when you hit the wear bars) and you don't run over something you are not likely to have failure like the good old days.

Yep.  The run-flats on the Z4 were expensive and heavy. The ride was okay, but in a roadster, that's sometimes hard to tell. Subsequent to my post I noticed that the Fusion tires were low rolling resistance.  There is no run flat equivalent. 

I do replace my tires well before I see the wear bars.  The only problems I've had were probably due to house hunting in a new housing development (picked up a nail) and my wife ran over some road debris and slashed the tread.

• 8 years later...

I am still looking for a spare tire solution for our Ford Fusion Energi.  I have purchase Second Party Manufactured  rims so that we can have aggressive winter tires  mounted on one set of rims and touring tires on the  original  Ford $1,000.00 rims. a tire mounted and inflated  on a rim will NOT fit into the Fusion Energi trunk so, unless you want to carry the inflated spare tire and  in your back seat, it won't fit into the vehicle. The inflation kit is of no use when the damage is on the sidewall nor is run flat tires of any use. 

What I ended up doing is taking the summer or winter tire and rim, deflating the tire entirely and then with a little help it will fit into the fusion trunk; but little else will. We do have a compressor on board to re-inflate the tire before sitting the vehicle down onto it. I used a spade to  push the deflated tire into the trunk area. Grab the tire with both hands and rock it and it will come back out. with ease. I store the jack, wrenches, and torque indicator in the wheel cavity  My friend says he doesn't change tires because he has AAA. We had that $1,000.00 dealer insurance that promised to come to our rescue it we had a roadside issue; in the prairies of Minnesota this didn't happen $350.00 towing and a day later to order the tire left us fully out of the $1000.00 insurance promise.