Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Battery capacity @ 30K miles horrible

Sean

The following plot shows the kWh of energy provided by the HVB for my 60 mile commutes for the time I have owned the car collected from MyFord Mobile.   During the first summer, the energy provided by the battery peaked around 5.85 kWh.  During the second summer, it was around 5.7 kWh.  And during this past summer, it was about 5.6 kWh.  So the total degradation is about 0.25/5.85 = 4%. 

However, for the first winter, the average energy provided was about 5.5 kWh.  The second winter was about 5.1 kWh.  And this winter is appears to be around 4.8 kWh, but it has not gotten all that cold yet.  So the degradation during the winter is about 13%.   Degradation has much greater impact in winter than summer. 

Great data. Do you charge once or twice per day on average? How many times would you estimate that you have fully depleted and charged the battery?

Edited by bdginmo

I usually charge at most once per day except Saturday (I don't usually go anywhere on Saturday with the car).  The battery is generally fully depleted twice per week.  My commute to work is 16 miles round trip, so in the summer it is only depleted to 35% each day.  However, in the winter, it is fully depleted.   A 7.6 kWh battery is not enough for my 16 mile commute in the winter.

I generally charge the car with a 240 V charger at 3:00 in the morning when the electric rates are low.  I have driven 31,000 miles.

Edited by larryh

• 2 weeks later...

They recently released Sync 3 and told current owners to buy new cars if they want an upgrade. There have been many requests for a kit to upgrade vehicles fitted with MFT to Sync 3 and Ford has said that they absolutely will NOT offer such an option. They suggestion is that everyone buy brand new Fords to get Sync 3. 

You say Ford "will NOT" offer an upgrade kit,  I say Ford "cannot."

Sync 3 is a completely different system from My Ford Touch.  It runs on a different operating system (Blackberry's QNX vs. Microsoft's Windows Embedded Auto), it uses different chipsets, and the touch screen technologies are different (capacitive touch screen instead of resistive).  The only way to upgrade a My Ford Touch vehicle would be to swap out the entire system, which just isn't feasible, especially when you consider that My Ford Touch is offered on Ford's entire vehicle lineup.  

An upgrade kit is not the type of thing that any OEM presently offers or is likely to offer in the future.  Aside from certain performance add-ons, OEMs are not in the business of upgrading their vehicles.  They provide for fixing and maintaining your current car, but if you want an upgrade (different engine or transmission, optional heated seats, etc), you have to get that when you buy the car or wait until you buy your next one.  Electronics work the same, BTW.  You want the Apple interface, you buy an iPhone.

While it may seem to some that this is a money grab by Ford to get you to buy a new car, to me it is an acknowledgement that the My Ford Touch was not meeting customer expectations, and the best way to fix that for future customers was to toss the old and go with the new.

to me it is an acknowledgement that the My Ford Touch was not meeting customer expectations, and the best way to fix that for future customers was to toss the old and go with the new.

And so sorry too bad for the prior owners right? BTW there was a third party upgrade kit linked on these forums somewhere. So if a third party can do it, it's not a case of "can't."

Edited by openair

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You say Ford "will NOT" offer an upgrade kit,  I say Ford "cannot."

Sync 3 is a completely different system from My Ford Touch.  It runs on a different operating system (Blackberry's QNX vs. Microsoft's Windows Embedded Auto), it uses different chipsets, and the touch screen technologies are different (capacitive touch screen instead of resistive).  The only way to upgrade a My Ford Touch vehicle would be to swap out the entire system, which just isn't feasible, especially when you consider that My Ford Touch is offered on Ford's entire vehicle lineup.  

Well... Its "pin compatible" meaning the communication with everything in the car is essentially the same. http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade

Well... Its "pin compatible" meaning the communication with everything in the car is essentially the same. http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade

I'm in between. I think it is technically feasible, but not cost effective. Most folks would not pay the money needed for that kind of upgrade (swapping everything out), and Ford is under no obligation to do it for free - folks bought their cars knowing that the current Sync was installed and part of the package they were paying for.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's great!  I didn't think it was possible using the existing screen -- I wonder if it includes a new 8" screen as well?  

Speaking for myself, it's more than I'm willing to spend on the upgrade, get it down to $1k and I'll think about it.  But I'm happy to see that it is possible and available to those willing to spend the cash.

• 2 months later...

Just a normal day in November, so it wasn't hot.  Has anyone been able to get the battery fixed?  I took my car in last week and the dealership did NOTHING to test it or fix it.  They never even charged the battery.  How does someone get the dealer to fix it?

Based on the information you have furnished, no one can tell what you are talking about.  20% drop?  How did you measure that?

Edited by JATR4

Appears Scribe lost 100% interest.

Yeah, and if this is how the poster approached his dealer then it's no wonder they did "nothing". Sorry Scribe, but unless you can provide a more detailed narrative of the problem or some kind of evidence to support your claim then most of us are going to disregard it as baseless.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to know if Ford has a way of accurately measuring capacity and let us know... I have to go by limited information (MFM web page) that isn't as accurate. I've got 48,000 on my car and have seen charging going from ~ 5.2 kw down to 4 over the last 3.5 years (from over 2 hours to 1.5), but I don't have a plot map so it's really anecdotal. I have a spreadsheet of gas mileage, but MFM only show the last week or so of charging. I can get a little more out of the ChargePoint data since I do 50+% of my charging via them (workplace charger). My work days I'm doing 2 full drains (19 miles to work).

On my last service visit, I asked for them to test my HVB and perhaps check its capacity and they tried to bill me for a $29 battery service (told me my 12 vt battery was fine). After my eyes stopped rolling I got them to remove it as I needed the HVB tested, I know my 12vt is fine. The same dealer wants me to come in for 45k service... which I cannot find listed in my Energi's service suggestions (it's every 10k & oil as needed).

Well apparently now Ford corp faxes a 69 page manual for the dealerships to test your battery and it will cost you $400 in service.  If they mysteriously find your battery has degraded you will not have to pay, but at 4.0Kwh they will in no way replace your battery (Someone got theirs replaced at 4.2 in April 2016, but I and many others have tried since with zero success, mine was at 3.7 when I took it in)  Now they are pulling the manual stunt where YOU have to pay for them to check because they are being inundated with requests and this is their solution.

Talk about great customer service and appreciation for their electric vehicle customers.

Edited by dlb92

It's funny that Tesla updates their cars all the time and Ford you have to pull teeth to get small MFT updates. They claim that the efficiency improvements to the 2017 Fusion were in software and not necessarily hardware or battery.

How cool would it be for Ford to offer us that improved software to help US out?  /sigh

Per the cmaxenergiforum:

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

happy%20feet.gif Feel free to contact the paralegal Karla at the law firm that may form a class action (Capstone, they got the Nissan Leaf owners settlement) .  They are still researching whether such a case is possible, would be nice for more from here to join in.  They cannot recruit clients or advertise, but you can call her 310-712-8142 to volunteer your information.  or email at karla.Rubalcava@capstonelawyers.com   All Energi owners, Cmax or Fusion should volunteer. (it is free)

Posted Yesterday, 11:39 AM

dontfret, on 30 Sept 2016 - 6:22 PM, said:snapback.png

I had a long 15 minute conversation with Ford Customer Service, which I recorded.  I got the representative to state, on record (we were both recording the call), that the battery is warranted for 8 years or 100,000.  I pressed him, warranted to do what - what capacity is it warranted to hold and deliver?  So without a charge capacity specification of any type I am only guaranteed that there will be a battery physically present but it won't hold a charge?

He finally replied, "unfortunately the warrantee is stating a specific time and mileage.  Now like I said sir, and the reason I am being so adamant about this sir is because you are definitely not the first person contacting me here and asking me that type of information.  That information is proprietary sir and cannot be divulged to customers".

So Ford is on record that the warranty is time and distance, but offers no specification on which to base a warranty claim.

Edited by dlb92

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have no idea, because my Ford dealer has had my car for an ENTIRE MONTH doing testing. Ford engineers now say "normal wear and tear." Mileage was showing 21-22, now showing 13-14. I never paid attention to KWH bc I am a layperson and I just wanted to drive my car and forget about all technical stuff. I was never told ANYTHING about charging TOO MUCH. I am so disappointed in Ford. I am currently on hold with Ford Customer relationship center, I have been on hold for like 30 minutes. And, I know this is a pointless phone call, because if my dealer has had the car a month and done days and days of testing and wasting several cycles of my battery/putting more miles on my car, and they can't get Ford to get a new battery, how can I?