Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Winter electric range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbr954rr

cbr954rr

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:Focus RS
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

Man, it’s not even that cold yet here in Ontario and I’ve gone from
Summer 35-37km per charge using AC on low
To
20-22km per charge using heat under 70 degrees and seat warmer
Tempatures around freezing

Just awful!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:08 AM

When it is below freezing my electric range is cut in half.

#3 OFFLINE   RickEnergi

RickEnergi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAnn Arbor
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Fusion Energi, 2013 F-150
  • My Fusion's Year:2018

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

We're coming into our first winter with the car and wondering how to adjust things.  Right now, the car is plugged into the wall outlet all night, and has a Go Time set for departure Mon - Fridays.  It's in the garage, and with the outside temps in the high 20s this morning the garage is a hair over 40.

Currently, we use EV mode to drive to the highway.  We then switch to EV later for the highway drive, and given that the destination is barely a mile off the highway leave it on that.  On the way home it's reversed, EV later until we get off the highway, then EV mode home.  Usually arrive with about 25 - 30% of the battery remaining.

Now that it's colder, my wife (the person driving) has been putting on the heat and using the heated steering wheel and seats.  I've explained that this drains the battery quicker, but she's looking for the simplest way to use the car.  Of course when she puts on the defrost (windows fogging up), the engine is starting and running.  

Should she adjust for the winter to using EV later to warm up the engine on the ride to work, and on the way home figure it will warm up before she gets off the highway?  This will leave much more unused battery when she gets home.  

We also have an engine block heater (car delivered to Wisconsin).  While somewhat annoying to use (plug on other side of vehicle), and have to figure out the impact on the circuit (same as car charger), at some point it might make sense to run this for an hour or two (I believe max of 3 to get peak heat) on a timer.  Of course if we don't use EV later, then warming the engine has achieved nothing.

Just trying to figure out the most efficient use, with the goal of arriving home with the least amount of battery left, but not running out.

#4 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

Why don't you want to run out of battery?  That is the only way to get the car into hybrid mode.  It's an automatic switch to hybrid.

Ask your wife which is more important to her, comfort or efficiency?

The phrase "Happy wife, happy life."  applies here.

#5 OFFLINE   RickEnergi

RickEnergi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:48 AM

Comfort wins.

Her trip is 3.4 miles local roads, then 6.7 miles on highway at 70mph, then 0.6 miles local roads.  Then reverse on the way home, 1.2 miles local, 6.4 miles highway, and 3.3 miles local.  90% of her days are this, other days have less highway and more local as she runs errands.

Here drive to work uses anywhere from roughly 1kWh, and the trip home uses roughly the same.  She found that on the highway, if she was in EV mode and needed to punch it, she didn't want to be messing with telling the car it's ok for the gas engine to kick in, takes her attention from the road.  She's also not going to be switching back and forth repeatedly.  I've pushed the "switch from EV to EV Later when you get on the highway, then same thing on the way home when you get off the highway.  For the short distance on the other end, she' got multiple traffic circles in her 0.6 - 1.2 mile jaunt, and switching back and forth, then remembering to do it after work, just adds to the likelihood that she forgets.  

Running out of battery is fine.  Ideally we want to use all of it, because it's cheaper than gas (although our annual projected savings is maybe $200).  But she's not going to be watching bars, checking modes, etc. all the time like I might do.

#6 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 284 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like you are on L1 for charging.  With L2, if you are using "go times" and you set the temp high enough, she could make her commute needing very little heat.  Coming home would be the only issue. 

On L1, that won't work since it can't deliver enough juice to get the temp high enough.  I do it on L1 with "remote start" but it drains ~10% off the battery in 15 mins even while plugged in.

I pretty much have to have my wife use "auto" mode and let the car make the decisions.  Otherwise she forgets to switch it.

Edited by jsamp, 12 November 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   ramsdaro

ramsdaro

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationLondon
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

I live in Southern ontario, woke up this morning to snow on the ground. 

The temp outside is -1 Celsius so 30 Fahrenheit ish.

I park my car in a non insulated garage. It was around 5 Celcius so 40ish Fahrenheit in the garage.

I have go times set up on my Level 1 charger and so far its been nice and warm and has 100% battery when I get in. 

I have wanted to test 4 different climate styles, but just havent gotten around to it. 

1 - no climate use at all

2 - heated seats only

3 - heat only

4 - heated seats and heat

As I mentioned the car is heated when I get in, so I start driving with heated seats and no heat. Just turning it on periodically manually. Usually like 10 mins into the trip I find I want it on again. I find this helps drastically. I drive about 30 mins for 20km each way.

I definitely recommend setting up Go Times.

#8 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 284 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

I forgot about that.  If you are using Go Times the computer will adjust your charging times so that it can divert power to the heater, yet still reach 100% by your go time.  This is true to the extent that it will ignore your "value charge" start time if it thinks it won't be done charging in time to reach your go time.

#9 OFFLINE   RickEnergi

RickEnergi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

Our car is plugged in by 3:30 or so.  Value Charge starts at 7PM, finished no later than 12:30AM.  Go Time is 7:05AM so no issues there.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·