Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fuel Efficiency 999.9

starvoyager

I have owned my 2017 Fusion Energi since new and mostly drive short distances and therefore on battery only. The left display showed the MPG increasing every week and I took a picture at 868 Average MPG. The next day the display showed 999.9. Now the efficiency leaves do not change in the right display and continually fill the screen. My nearest dealer doesn't handle the Fusion Energi and I had to buy it from a dealer that is about 140 miles away. When I called their service department they suggested I bring it to them to check out. Is there any setting I missed or has anyone else had this problem? There are no warning lights and over 5500 miles on the car. Everything else works great.

post-2927-0-56328800-1568062732_thumb.jpg

The formula is mpg = miles / gallons

Since you are not using any gasoline the divisor is 0.  By definition division by zero equals infinity.

999.9 is the maximum value that can be displayed so that is infinity.

My 2013 has an MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) setting which makes a lot more sense.  Unfortunately it is my understanding that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, removed the MPGe display in later years because they got tired of trying to explain it.

mpg has no meaning when you aren't using any gasoline.

Edited by murphy

Let me try to say this better. When I bought the car I had to drive on the ICE to get home 140 miles. The MPG indicated around 50 or so for the trip. When home I charged up and the next trips were all on battery and the MPG indicator would increase to 100, then 200, then higher and higher as long as I was only on battery. Then I took a longer trip which required the ICE and the MPG indicator started working its way down. Then the next several trip it would go back up because I was on battery only. All this time, whether on battery or ICE, the Efficiency leaves would get bigger or smaller depending on how much I pushed on the throttle pedal. Then all of a sudden the MPG indicator jumped to 999.9 and the efficiency leaves do not change no matter how I drive, battery or ICE. It seems the car lost it's signal to the MPG indicator and efficiency leaves or the signal has failed to infinity. 

• 3 weeks later...

Starvoyager,

Just read your post and unlike Murphy and 4cylinder I think that I understand your problem.  The MPG indicator just doesn't go from say 560 MPG to 999.9 MPG overnight and then stay at 999.9 regardless of how you drive your vehicle..

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for your problem.  These vehicles have complex electronics and sometimes strange things happen.  e.g.  A couple of months ago my cumulative data (which I've never reset since I bought my 2019 Energi 6 months ago) was somehow partially reset; the BEV miles reset to zero but the other data did not!  Also, my trip data (which shows up in the left screen after you turn off the car and before you open the door) will sometimes indicate zero miles traveled!  Strange!

A couple of months ago my cumulative data (which I've never reset since I bought my 2019 Energi 6 months ago) was somehow partially reset; the BEV miles reset to zero but the other data did not!  Also, my trip data (which shows up in the left screen after you turn off the car and before you open the door) will sometimes indicate zero miles traveled!  Strange!

Perhaps just the Fusion's normal rollover? Rollover to 0 occurs on the trip meters as follows (here's a thread where murphy clued me in to trip meter rollover behavior):

9999.9 miles

999.9 EV miles

99:99:99 driving time

also, possibly:

999.9 kWh

Rollover doesn't seem to be able to explain Starvoyager's problem of jumping to 999.9 mpg and staying there despite subsequent driving with the ICE. When my rollover (of just miles) occurred, mpg seemed not to be affected. Very unlikely with also the leaves not changing, but could there be something strange in the setup in MyView?  Maybe worth glancing at a trip meter to make sure its values agree.

Perhaps just the Fusion's normal rollover? Rollover to 0 occurs on the trip meters as follows (here's a thread where murphy clued me in to trip meter rollover behavior):

9999.9 miles

999.9 EV miles

99:99:99 driving time

also, possibly:

999.9 kWh

Rollover doesn't seem to be able to explain Starvoyager's problem of jumping to 999.9 mpg and staying there despite subsequent driving with the ICE. When my rollover (of just miles) occurred, mpg seemed not to be affected. Very unlikely with also the leaves not changing, but could there be something strange in the setup in MyView?  Maybe worth glancing at a trip meter to make sure its values agree.

Thanks!  That definitely would explain why the BEV miles reset to zero since they reset every 1,000 miles whereas the total miles only reset every 10,000 miles.  Seems like they (Ford) should have been consistent and let the BEV mile counter go to 9999.9 before resetting.

• 2 years later...

I recently had a similar problem on my 2013 C-Max Energi. After driving on battery only, the trip mileage would read anywhere from 80 to 150 MPGe. Then after some work at the dealer, it started reading 999.9. The answer is in the menu system. Using the arrows on the left of the steering wheel, left arrow to arrive at the main menu. Down arrow and select: Settings, Display, Units, Fuel Economy, Fuel + Electric. Somehow mine had gotten set to Fuel only. This fixed it for me.