Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New charging cable giving me blinking red light

wythefisher

I’ve got the new charging cable now, after ford replaced the old recalled version. Today, I noticed I have no charge. The green light is on steady, but the red light blinks five times, then pauses and begins again. I called my ford dealership and they said they would have to call me back because they didn’t know. Any internet search with various terms results in info on the old charger with the triangle fault light.

Anyone know what the status indicator means?

I tried searching on here for this topic too but was unable to find it, so hopefully I’m not creating clutter with a new thread.

I have a 2015 Fusion Energi btw.

Edited by wythefisher

Aren't there two lights that can be red, Fault and Check Outlet?  The user manual only has one condition where the Vehicle (green) light is on steady and another is blinking, and that's the Check Outlet indicator blinking.  The manual's description says:

"The convenience cord detected a high temperature
at the AC plug. The AC plug has returned to
a normal operating temperature. Your vehicle is
ready to charge at a reduced current.*

"*Have the outlet checked by a qualified electrician and make sure the AC plug fits firmly

into the outlet. Contact an authorized EV certified dealer if problem persists."

I've encountered this when I hadn't pushed the plug in very firmly into an old socket.  I've also encountered this on a different socket (even different house), and had to switch to the second socket in the outlet when the first socket gave me this problem too often.

There could very well be something wrong with the cable, given that you're sure the outlet(s) isn't the problem (I presume also that your outlet(s) worked with your old cable).

ChargingStatus.pdf

Ok, I had to look at a 2019 manual to find the right info, as my 2015 manual refers to the old charge cable.  I've attached the applicable page.

I dont remember now if the power light is on or not, as that will make the difference in being a Ground fault, or Cord fault.

Sad thing is my local dealer couldnt find this info to tell me...

Charge Cable Indicators.png

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had the same issue and it was not the outlet. No one could figure it out. My original that came with my 2015 was replaced by the recall. New one was sleeker and only had a green light (power) and a red fault light. After about 2 years when plugging it in, both green and red are on then red disappears. Power on but will not charge my vehicle when plugged in. I ended up getting an aftermarket one bc the pricing is ridiculous. Ruled out all the obvious. Anyone have thoughts?

BEA9B57A-AA7D-466E-8587-B93F845FC389.jpeg

Edited by Nicolister
Pic