Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Best charging cable replacement?

wythefisher

Well, turns out my local ford will not replace my faulty cable.  I returned the original cable back in April 2019, and I'm over the 12,000 miles on the new cable.  I understand why they want to replace the old faulty cables, but I'm furious because my old one worked, and now the new one has failed, right at the warranty mark..  They want over $400 for a new cable.

So, has anyone purchased a non-Ford version?  There seems to be a lot of them for sale on various sites, even Walmart!  Amazon has quite a few as well, for under $200.  As long as they are J1772 correct?  I am charging via 120V, type 1, if that is any help.

Before purchasing another one, I'd check with either AmazingE or Clipper Creek to see if they can service the one you have.  The "new and improved" Ford unit is made by AmazingE, but it is actually a Clipper Creek board inside.  Clipper Creek services the units in Auburn, CA.  Try those two first.  It could be something as simple as the thermistor in the plug has gone bad. 

Worth a try anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My white head one that I got with a used 2017 Platinum flashed the red exclamation mark from day one. Very occasionally it wouldn't finish a charge with an error. I finally had the dealer look at it and they replaced it under the hybrid warranty. Said it had a faulty wire. Maybe it's at their discretion. I use it mostly at 240v btw though the behavior was identical on either voltage. The new black one works great under both voltages too. I was ready to buy one of the $150 ones off eBay or Amazon though. I can perhaps find the receipt and upload it, it was just the other day.