Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Another benefit of EVs

jsamp

Coronavirus has brought back some long gone things of days past, one of which is drive-in movies (in my town's case, with a jumbotron on a trailer in an unused parking lot).  I realized when we got tickets that I'd better charge before I go, so I could run the defroster to keep the front windshield clear.  An added benefit of EVs is not having to idle the car and breathe exhaust fumes to keep the windshield from fogging up! 

The other Fusion Energi right next to me and the Tesla in front were enjoying the same thing.

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:03 PM, drayden91 said:

That sounds great. I haven't seen a drive-in movies in our area yet. What movies are they playing?

Family movies - so the kids can get a reprieve from staying home all the time as well.  Some Disney animated like Raya and the Last Dragon, some regular like Princess Bride.  Now my 10 year old understands all the PB quotes my wife and I say all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 11:24 PM, jsamp said:

Family movies - so the kids can get a reprieve from staying home all the time as well.  Some Disney animated like Raya and the Last Dragon, some regular like Princess Bride.  Now my 10 year old understands all the PB quotes my wife and I say all the time.

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

• 1 year later...

Continuing this topic with another benefit... power outages!  A transformer blew in my neighborhood tonight, and the local elec co. said it would be 2+ hours until we were back on.  My computer/router/modem are on a battery backup, but the rest of the house was dark.  So I got my 25' trouble light from the garage and plugged it into the 120V outlet on my energi, ran the cord through the window and had light at least for one room in the house!  It was an LED bulb so only using ~10W.  If I had more sockets I could have lit up the whole house and still been under the 150W rating.

The only bummer was the 120V outlet would not work in accessory mode.  I had to fully turn on the car to get it to work.  After ~1/2 hour it shut off so I had to go out and re-start.  Fortunately the power was only out for an hour and a quarter, so it was quick.

Power to (and from) the EVs!

On 4/28/2023 at 2:22 AM, jsamp said:

Continuing this topic with another benefit... power outages!  A transformer blew in my neighborhood tonight, and the local elec co. said it would be 2+ hours until we were back on.  My computer/router/modem are on a battery backup, but the rest of the house was dark.  So I got my 25' trouble light from the garage and plugged it into the 120V outlet on my energi, ran the cord through the window and had light at least for one room in the house!  It was an LED bulb so only using ~10W.  If I had more sockets I could have lit up the whole house and still been under the 150W rating.

The only bummer was the 120V outlet would not work in accessory mode.  I had to fully turn on the car to get it to work.  After ~1/2 hour it shut off so I had to go out and re-start.  Fortunately the power was only out for an hour and a quarter, so it was quick.

Power to (and from) the EVs!

I actually set up something a little more involved in my C-Max with a full size 1kw inverter for just such a backup use. I documented it in the thread over here:

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/12663-power-inverter-installationoptions/

I think electrified (hybrid or EV/PHEV) vehicles are a fantastic backup solution just due to the nature of how they operate and manage battery power. Theoretically the ICE, when it does need to run, is going to stay in an efficient state and not just idle 24/7 like you'd have with an ICE only vehicle doing the same job. And emissions should be a TON better than an off the shelf generator.