Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charging, battery KwH, and range

mdntblu

On 2/4/2022 at 2:39 PM, mdntblu said:

have a 2018 Ford Fusion Energi. Bought it brand new after trading in a 2015 C-Max Energi that I also bought brand new. 

My 2018 Fusion has just under 40,000 miles on it. Just to make note I've lived in the same house and nothing has really changed since I first bought the C-Max.

When I first got my Ford Fusion I always got the 21 miles on a charge. Sometimes it would go down to 18 or up to 23 depending on where I was driving. I also drive my car the same, no wild acceleration or quick stops, etc. So driving habits should not factor in.

1CGWY3Q.png

I have a ChargePoint Home charger and have downloaded a few years worth of charging activity. I can notice that up until around May of 2020 I would get charges in the 6 and 7 KwH range. Ever since then I rarely get past 5 KwH.

I have uploaded my xls file of all charging activity since 1/1/2020. 

So because I'm noticing that I never get over 5 KwH per charge my range is down in the 8-11 miles per charge.

My guess is that my battery isn't taking a full charge and the past few days FordPass app has even been saying 93% or 94% charged even after being plugged in all night.

0zpZtjV.png B9knHLk.jpg

1yJtmy1.pngyBec93G.jpg

As you can see FordPass says 94% and my ChargePoint says 4-5KwH.

So recently I took it to the Ford dealer and explained all this to them. After having my car for 3 days the rep called and said the tech doesn't understand why it's doing that and said that he's still looking into it. 

Then the next day he called and said it's all done and your car is charging to 21 miles. I was very skeptical. So when I picked it up it was 100% charged but the Range only said 9 miles. But then on the left screen there is a average mi per charge on one of the screens and it said 21. So I'm like ok whatever, I'll drive it home and make sure the battery is completely empty and see what happens. 

So that night I charged it and what do ya know, it says 21 miles on the range. But I saw it only did like 5KhW so I'm like how is it that I'm going to get 21 miles. So I really kept track. I went on a drive and after around 7 miles I was down to 18% battery. And within a few more miles it was completely empty. So I really only got 10 miles on that charge even though all the stuff said 21. I am under the impression that the Ford dealer didn't really do anything except like a major hard reset to reset all the calculations on the car computers. Because over the week after getting the car back it started dropping and dropping and now I'm back to the 9-11 miles per charge again. 

I'm 100% certain that my battery isn't taking the full 7.6KwH charge. Sure we know that batteries degrade over time but the dealer and a few people on FaceBook group said not at 40,000 miles. One guy had a 2014 Energi with over 100,000 miles and he says he still gets 20 miles on a charge. So I don't believe that it's the battery degrading. It feels like some of the cells are bad and it won't get more than 4.5-5.5 KwH charges.

Does anyone on here have any ideas? Or works for a dealer and is trained on this. I know the battery has an 8 year/80,000 mi warranty. I would really like to get my battery replaced (or at least load tested and verified).

Thank you.

Usage-history-20220131 (1).xls 143.5 kB · 4 downloads

Man, you are preaching to the choir, only I'm years ahead of you. I encountered the identical problem, but my "degradation" started when my 2015 was only 18 months old. For the first year and half I was consistently getting 22 miles per charge. During those days when I arrived at work I still had two miles remaining on the charge. Then all of a sudden, literally overnight,  the most range that I could get was 18 and I was falling way short of my drive to work, resulting in the ICE kicking in. I brought it into Ford and guess what, they said it was "normal degradation" and referred me to page x in the warranty manual. I fought with them tooth and nail, but to no avail. Today the maximum range is 15 miles, which it where it has remained for the last five years, which I find odd in itself because it rapidly lost it's charging capacity in less than two years, but the capacity has remained rock steady for the last five years.

Let me add that when the car was new it took about three hours to fully charge, now it takes 1.5 hours.

Edited by mikieg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give another update on this ongoing saga.

Because the last dealer had it for so many weeks and nothing was found/done to the car I knew it wouldn't be any different.

The car ended up throwing a wrench light during the month of November 3 different times and when this light was on the car wouldn't use the EV motor at all. No regen and no hybrid style driving. Strictly ICE.

So when you would take off from a stop the EV motor usually kicks on first to get the car rolling and then the ICE kicks on a few seconds later but when the EV motor isn't working at all then you end up with a delay when you step on the gas for the ICE to get the car rolling and I don't think it's meant to operate like that because a few times it seems as though the ICE wanted to stall out and not get the car going.

So I ended up having these events happen during the month of November. Do the beginning of december I took the car to a different deal local to me and told them the following: my car keeps going into wrench mode and runs really strange until I power cycle it, and I'm also only getting 9-10 miles per charge. My car now has 47,700 miles on it. 

I showed them the screen shot (uploaded to post) I had and they said they'll do their best to figure it out. No rental given. So they had the car 2 weeks and came back telling me there was no codes that showed up, no errors, they drove it and it drove fine.

Told me to come and get it. UGH 

When I picked it up I was very frustrated and told them that it makes no sense that a car would throw errors and not store them somewhere and even send them to my Ford Pass app.

So he told me "next time it occurs to drive it straight to the dealer and don't shut the car off and let me drive it to a tech to look at immediately". I'm like ok let's hope it happens in the day time when they're open.

Sure enough in December I was driving around 9:30pm at night and it went into wrench mode again. So this time I'm like obviously I can't drive it to the dealer at this hour so when I got home I didn't turn it off. I went and grabbed my bluetooth ODB2 dongle and hooked it up to the car and went and downloaded Forscan app from Apple AppStore and ran the codes myself (see screen shots). I also downloaded text file logs (attached to this post) so that way if when I turned it off it reset again. 

Well after I turned it off and turned it back on the check engine light was on this time as well as the wrench light. I was like finally it didn't delete everything.

My son drove it to work because I forgot to tell him it was problematic (he's only 5 miles from the house) and when he got home told me the CEL was still on. So I was hopeful that next time I was able to go to the dealer they would be able to see all this.

After new years holiday I called the dealership and told them the status and they said ok drive it in on Monday morning (Jan 2) and let us look at it. Well when I got in the car monday morning no lights, no nothing. I'm like you got to be kidding me. But I knew I had the log files and screenshots so started heading to the dealer. Well on the freeway it did wrench light again and I was like "YES" (even though I shouldn't be excited for me car to be broken) and got there, went straight to the service guy who told me to bring it back and told him I left it on and it's ready for you. 

He wrote down a few things to create a ticket and drove it straight back to the techs. Said he would have them run the codes. I waited about an hour and asked for an update and he confirmed the same things I saw on Forscan and said I needed to leave it for them to fix it.

Dropped it off Jan 2 and today is Jan 5th and haven't heard anything from the dealer yet. I did re-open my case with Ford Corporate and they are going to also followup with them. I can see by my Ford Pass app that they've charged it a few times and it shows 97% with 7 miles of range. It looks like the codes are gone because usually when they are there they Ford Pass app continuously shows there is a problem.

Now we'll just wait and see what the outcome is.

ford1.png

ford-dash.jpeg

ford.png

ford2.png

forscan2.png

forscan1.png

Info_2022-12-29_221306.txt Log_2022-12-29_221242.txt DTC_2022-12-29_221105.txt

• 1 month later...

After all the above messages, and Forscan codes and messages I took it to the dealer and they said they replaced a module. I want to say the BEM (Battery Module) but now on Feb 15th the wrench light came on again and the Hybrid system was not functioning. So it basically did the same thing that it did previously but since we've been sick and also traveling on and off we haven't driven the car that much. Not sure I want to take it to the dealer again. They don't seem to do anything. Or maybe it's just the wrong dealers. Going to look into Lemon Law now.

IMG_E60985671B81-1.jpeg

IMG_5804.PNG

IMG_5808.JPG

• 4 months later...

Update - 6/21/2022

After all the stuff above I decided to take it in again for an oil change and when I got there I was like, I'm just going to tell them about the battery and the CEL and wrench lights again and see what they do. One of the same dealers it's been to many times. Different service rep this time. Not sure if that even mattered.

I get a call about 3 days after dropping it off and they said they found that the HV battery was bad and they were ordering a new one from Ford under warranty.

They said it would be about 10 days before they got it in but it came in a few days earlier and I got my car back. Funny story though --- they didn't even change the oil like I brought it in for. lol So now I have to make another appointment to get the oil changed. I would just go to a Jiffy Lube or somewhere but during all the craziness I've been through with Ford Corporate they added free oil changes for 3 years.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:56 PM, theterminator93 said:

Yikes, I think that's the first time I've ever seen them replace the HVB under warranty. I imagine you got a refurb'd unit, what's the part number they installed on the paperwork?

Yes it was refurbished unit. But I believe that means they take the entire bank and replace all the cells and reuse the outer shell and some of the battery components. I'm not even sure what the p/n is. Maybe you can decipher it from this. 

785871228_Screenshot2023-06-22at2_02_55PM.thumb.png.ff626e2b9648114d5f28f010d898eb83.png

Edited by mdntblu

On 6/22/2023 at 11:18 PM, jsamp said:

It's near the bottom on the left side: KG9Z 10B759 EARM

Funny how they call it a $600 part when it lists for almost $10 grand.  EARM is the reman unit.  it replaces the KG9Z 10B759 A

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-reman_battery_kg9z-10b759-earm.html

I asked them about the $600. They said that’s just like a core charge and they get that money back after warranty pays them or something. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 1:28 AM, mdntblu said:

I asked them about the $600. They said that’s just like a core charge and they get that money back after warranty pays them or something. Did it fix all your CEL and wrench light after they replaced the hybrid battery?  I'm having the same issue and it's frustrating.