Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Insurance Company not able to determine Energi model

fpliptak

I have been having "issues" with my insurance agent when it comes to my Energi.  They have asked numerous times for my VIN number and after giving it to them I got the following response back as to why they keep asking for the VIN:

Your vehicle’s VIN does not register with State Farm’s national database.  This typically occurs with new, unique or uncommon vehicles.

Strange in that I can get the full description of the vehicle based on the VIN from the Ford site.

Any ideas?post-204-0-44846900-1370481348_thumb.jpgVIN Results fleet_ford_com.htm

I currently have AAA of Michigan and had no problem, however, they DID have a problem before I took delivery of the car - they said they couldn't find it even after it was in ETIS, etc.  I waited until the day before I took delivery to call the insurance carrier again, and then there was no problem.  It probably took some time for that VIN to filter down in to the databases.  Still... yours is a DR30 so that's HAD plenty of time to get in to their system (Mine is a DR32).

Funny... I was thinking about switching to State Farm since AAA's prices are starting to get out of control.  Maybe not so much now if they're having issues with the Energi.

Same thing happened with us when we bought the Energi in April, normally add/change vehicle myself using USAA's online site in about 5 minutes or less... but could not do it with the Energi, had to call the 800 number for them to do some sort of override. 

USAA had this fixed on Saturday. It took about 2 seconds to get an insurance card.

State Farm here too. First day I called it in, she told me I had a hybrid. I told her it was the plug-in version. She said she didn't see that option, but this should be fine. Got my cards in the mail. Then the crash. Body shop took all the info and sent me on my way. They called shortly thereafter and asked me to verify the VIN. Did so. They said they had it right, but their system couldn't find the car so it wouldn't let them estimate. They worked some magic and estimated by hand I guess, since it got done, but I had a re al uh-oh moment when they said they couldn't do it.

Long story short, I'm insured, but I don't know if it is for the right car yet, or if I'm paying the right amount. Oh well, it's up to State Farm to get the details ironed out. Bottom line is they paid for the repairs, so I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... So I found something interesting that might explain our problems however not sure....

I applied for the HOV sticker in California and the DMV returned my application because the Dealer/Ford had reported my Energi as a "G" gas powered vehicle, I had to get a "Statement of Facts" from the dealer that then will be sent back to DMV.

The form also states that it will be corrected in my title, if I want a new title I must return the original title which is with the Lien holder.

Just wanted to share my experience so that if anyone in the future receives their tittle showing you own a Gas powered vehicle and not a PHEV.

• 2 weeks later...

No trouble with Farmers Insurance in TX.

Might want to price against AAA. I was with Farmer's for almost 25 years and last year switched to AAA as Farmer's went all stupid on homeowners and auto combined. AAA saved me moeny over both increases and a little over pre-stupid rates. AAA has me at $890 a year for both cars from $270 for the Integra alone.

I also have AAA... but the Fusion by itself is 1100 for a year, and that includes multi-product discounts.  I also have an Expedition AND Homeowners insurance through them.  The rates in Michigan are beyond insane.  My credit is awesome, no violations, and the quotes say I'm getting maximum discount on everything, so I don't get it.  I'm about to go insurance shopping since my rates are so bad.  Especially when I see quotes from others (too bad all of them on the site aren't in MI).

This is very frustrating.  My Farmers Insurance agent found my vehicle with the VIN, said it listed as a Ford Fusion Energi.  She then said she was having trouble saving the changes and my information will not update.  So she said she would call me back.  She called a few minutes later and said even the main office could not save the changes, but she would keep in touch and I could pick up my new policy as soon as she had it.  Her office is 3 minutes from my house.  

Is everyone sure their new policies list the vehicle as the Energi?  Or is there no difference in coverage between the Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi?  I can then point my agent in the right direction.  Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Issue with Progressive's online system not being able to identify car from VIN is what brought me to this forum.

Sounds like I might want to wait a day or two and try again? 

Otherwise I can just call them I suppose.

Interacting with a human in real-time via the phone?  Rather archaic really, given that the Energi is such a car of the future.