Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Highest miles showing after full recharge

JesseDiaz

I purchased by 2014 Ford Fusion Energi about 2 weeks ago.  The first three charges showed 21 miles when it was done.  After that, I got a max of 18 miles using the 120v charger that came with the car.  I am now using a 240v charger and Im still getting the 18 miles.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I know its only 3 miles but that's 14% less than I was expecting and 3 miles x 5 days a week is 15 miles and for a month can be 60 miles!

I read somewhere that the dealership can REBOOT the car and this might solve it.  what is everyone else seeing for miles after a full recharge?

Turn off the heater and A/C and you will get more miles.

The number is nothing more than an educated guess based on how the car has previously been driven.

Improve your driving technique and the number will go up.

I agree whole heartedly! Well said Murphy.

I have been driving conventional hybrids for a few years now and have considerable skills in "hypermiling" that allowed me to get

Charge 33 miles

On a charge yesterday. I got about 30 miles with the charge so not too shabby of an educated guess on the Energi's Charge Gauge.

Father Bill

When descending Pike's Peak this Summer, our Fusion registered 43 EV miles before the system quit charging. Of course, a distance test on a flat road after we reached the lowlands established that the "extra EV miles" were just a computer algorithm mirage - the car expended all these phantom EV miles in about 23 miles.

I agree whole heartedly! Well said Murphy.

I have been driving conventional hybrids for a few years now and have considerable skills in "hypermiling" that allowed me to get

On a charge yesterday. I got about 30 miles with the charge so not too shabby of an educated guess on the Energi's Charge Gauge.

Father Bill

Hey Father Bill how fast do you typically drive to get that many miles?

Thanks!  I figured you were cruising pretty slowly.  On my regular commute I get in the carpool lane then move out of it from time to time since people typically go 80 that early in the morning.  I usually drive about 65-75 and can't go the whole way to work which is about 26 miles.  Stop and go on a Friday afternoon and I can though!

Recently I've been going to another site which is 70 miles away and I've been driving about 75, mostly on EV later which I use during lunch and on the way home.  I've been getting about 47 MPG's at that speed and distance.

• 5 months later...

I don't think I've gotten one this high before, warm (but not hot) weather sure helps... and a road trip where I played with the EV switch to see how far I could get for the entire trip, and now the full charge shows a nice number but probably skewed by about 10 miles.

MFM_39_Miles_Apr2014_zps6bef0ef9.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

• 1 month later...

You have to plug back in (*unless you are descending a long way down the mountains and regen back to a full battery with 20-30 miles range). Once the EV portion of the battery pack (6.5 kWh) with the 21 mile range is used up, the ICE recharges the hybrid portion of the battery pack (1.1 kWh) up to about 80% and then driving draws it down to about 20% before charging it again. The ICE doesn't recharge and add EV miles of range back on.

You have to plug back in (*unless you are descending a long way down the mountains and regen back to a full battery with 20-30 miles range). Once the EV portion of the battery pack (6.5 kWh) with the 21 mile range is used up, the ICE recharges the hybrid portion of the battery pack (1.1 kWh) up to about 80% and then driving draws it down to about 20% before charging it again. The ICE doesn't recharge and add EV miles of range back on.

I have found the same, that the ICE will only charge it only so high.  To illustrate the above point on the mountain downhills, on last weekend's road trip I was in the mountains of KY and WV and during a mountain downhill I regen'd enough to get the HVB back to 2 miles, then I'd switch back to EV-now on the levels and uphills and 'bank' the HVB for later... then on successive mountain downhills I regen'd again and again and got the HVB back to 95% (the highest I could get it to display) and the miles in HVB got up to 40 -- so I then 'banked' that for later to use in city driving where the EV tends to yield the best effects and thus higher MPG.  In my unofficial non-technical testing of trying it different ways on really hilly terrain, it seems to me that this gave me better overall MPG results than using regen on one downhill and then burning through that on the next uphill -- but again that's just anecdotal without any real data (meaning larry may well come in with hard numbers that show otherwise, who knows and I think we went though this on another thread) and actually could just be wishful thinking on my part, but based on trying different ways on different trips, this is what tended to work best for me.

Edited by jeff_h

Follow up question for jeff_h

On this drive where you were trying to achieve the best mileage possible, how many miles did you travel, and what was the overall mpg?

Also, what is ICE and EVB?

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I bought new is 2009. I have 85K on it now and have not had a single problem. This is a double edged sword. I love the idea of a new one, but this car is awesome. Of course, that makes me think the new one would be that much more awesome. Talking to salespeople is like talking to a brochure. Thank you for the help. 

Follow up question for jeff_h

On this drive where you were trying to achieve the best mileage possible, how many miles did you travel, and what was the overall mpg?

Also, what is ICE and EVB?

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I bought new is 2009. I have 85K on it now and have not had a single problem. This is a double edged sword. I love the idea of a new one, but this car is awesome. Of course, that makes me think the new one would be that much more awesome. Talking to salespeople is like talking to a brochure. Thank you for the help. 

Below are the trips from my drive down there, for the most part I had the cruise set on 68.  ICE = Internal Combustion Engine, HVB = High Voltage Battery.  I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and it is now owned by my wife's best friend, so I see it regularly and still change the oil in it - sometime next month it should pass the 180k mark (I had it for the first 145k) and it still runs great.

MPG_20140612_zpsf787c6e1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How does our FFE calculate how far we can go on a charge?  Today for the first time (yesterday it said 22 miles) it showed me 31 miles on the battery and this with the regular 110v charger.  Now for my daily 75 miles trip to work, 44.5 were EV Miles.  Can anybody please explain me how they calculate the EV miles and what is the meaning of this?

My trip gave me 65 MPG and this is for the first time that I go over 60 MPG on this trip.  Does the battery need some charges to become more efficient?  I have my car for 2,5 weeks now.

Thanks for the help and advice

How does our FFE calculate how far we can go on a charge?  Today for the first time (yesterday it said 22 miles) it showed me 31 miles on the battery and this with the regular 110v charger.  Now for my daily 75 miles trip to work, 44.5 were EV Miles.  Can anybody please explain me how they calculate the EV miles and what is the meaning of this?

My trip gave me 65 MPG and this is for the first time that I go over 60 MPG on this trip.  Does the battery need some charges to become more efficient?  I have my car for 2,5 weeks now.

It's based on recent trips (or maybe the most recent 1, 2, etc) so since you had a good 'run' on that HVB charge the system sets the number to try and be accurate in relation to "if you drive the same way you have on the past x trips, your HVB will go for y miles).  If you have a repeatable pattern such as daily commutes it gets somewhat predictable, unless you thrown in an irregular trip or two and then it skews the miles-remaining number.

On the number of EV miles for a trip, that's just the number of miles where the ICE wasn't running - on your daily commute some days with agreeable traffic you might get 44.5 miles as you note, some days that might be 40 or 50 or whatever.

The reason your EV miles for trip are higher than your HV battery estimated miles at full charge, is because you gained additional REGEN miles thru coasting downhill, brake REGEN etc.