Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi owner with some questions

saleen436

First off, hey everyone. Been driving my 2015 Energi for one month and loving it. I'm still confused about a few things that hopefully someone here knows as I can't get much good info in the manual nor online in general, so here goes:

1. When the charged battery goes to 0 miles, then switches over to the solid blue battery, what exactly does that mean? I know in certain driving situations I can still utilize EV mode at that point, but am I still on some battery type power? I'm thinking it just indicates hybrid mode?

2. How does the car calculate remaining mileage to empty? Does it assume you will charge the car a certain number of times between fill ups? And to that degree I guess the gas gauge itself does something similarly?

3. Has anyone noticed cold outside air coming into the cabin through the vents? Normally I will recirculate the air to eliminate the incoming air, but it's gotten annoying to have to do this every time. Am I doing something wrong? I very well could just be an idiot :)

4. Does anyone ever feel like their heated seats just don't work very well?

All that said, I really do love the car, it's just a lot to understand. Looking forward to being a member!

1:  Yes this means hybrid mode.  It drives identical to the hybrid fusion.  You can still drive ev only for about ~1-2 km (depending on driving conditions) after the ev range is depleted.

2:  Remaining mileage to empty is remaining ev range + remaining gas range.  It does not include any more ev range than the current charge in the battery.

3:  Occasionally. My girlfriend doesn't ever even when I do.  IMO the temperature threshold for whether to cool or heat is too sensitive.

4:  They do take awhile to warm up.  But once they begin to warm up they get very warm.  Almost too hot for my liking.

1: Yes this means hybrid mode. It drives identical to the hybrid fusion. You can still drive ev only for about ~1-2 km (depending on driving conditions) after the ev range is depleted.

2: Remaining mileage to empty is remaining ev range + remaining gas range. It does not include any more ev range than the current charge in the battery.

3: Occasionally. My girlfriend doesn't ever even when I do. IMO the temperature threshold for whether to cool or heat is too sensitive.

4: They do take awhile to warm up. But once they begin to warm up they get very warm. Almost too hot for my liking.

Great reply openair, thanks for the info!

1:  Yes this means hybrid mode.  It drives identical to the hybrid fusion.  You can still drive ev only for about ~1-2 km (depending on driving conditions) after the ev range is depleted.

2:  Remaining mileage to empty is remaining ev range + remaining gas range.  It does not include any more ev range than the current charge in the battery.

3:  Occasionally. My girlfriend doesn't ever even when I do.  IMO the temperature threshold for whether to cool or heat is too sensitive.

4:  They do take awhile to warm up.  But once they begin to warm up they get very warm.  Almost too hot for my liking.

Camping on to the above responses:

1 - Yes that's hybrid mode, which uses a smaller portion of the High Voltage Battery (HVB) -- think of it like a PC with a large physical hard drive that has logical partitions to a C: drive that takes up 90% of the physical drive and a D: drive that takes up the other 10%... I think of the HVB as being logically partitioned like that, even though it's the same physical battery.

2 - The number you see on the fully charged HVB is based on recent driving behavior and terrain, in other words it calculates "keep doing what you've been doing and you've got about X miles left."

3 - I've never been a bit fan of the HVAC system as I want an easy way to turn it to vent with no AC at will with on touch, and when I turn on the HVAC I do NOT want it to default to 'Auto' as I only want it to default to a low fan setting (so if someone knows how to set that I will buy you a coffee)

4 - Heated seats take about 1-2 minutes or so to start feeling something, but once they get going they really work well, as I can't keep mine on 3 bars, way too hot for me.  So if you have yours set on 3 bars and it's barely heating then maybe that should be checked out, provided you've given it ample time to warm up.

First off, congrats on your new car & welcome!!

I think questions 1-3 have been answered well. As far as heated seats, the Fusion seats seem to get hot to me even on the lowest setting. On extremely cold days I've used the 2nd setting for the first few minutes but it quickly gets too hot. I never use the highest setting. My wife likes it warmer than I do and she often uses the middle setting. Our Focus Electric has 5 heated seat settings and I usually use 2 or 3 in the Focus and my wife uses 4 or 5. Its seats don't seem to get as warm as the Fusion. Based on your comments you may want to have your dealer check things out. There is a Ford Service rep on this Forum who can assist if you decide to take your car to the dealer.

...There is a Ford Service rep on this Forum who can assist if you decide to take your car to the dealer.

Thanks for the shout-out!

It seems that is mostly only true if you live in the USA.

We do have Ford Canada reps (Kwasi & Nikki), and I've let them know about this thread. You can also reach out to them here.

Meagan

First off, hey everyone. Been driving my 2015 Energi for one month and loving it. I'm still confused about a few things that hopefully someone here knows as I can't get much good info in the manual nor online in general, so here goes:

1. When the charged battery goes to 0 miles, then switches over to the solid blue battery, what exactly does that mean? I know in certain driving situations I can still utilize EV mode at that point, but am I still on some battery type power? I'm thinking it just indicates hybrid mode?

2. How does the car calculate remaining mileage to empty? Does it assume you will charge the car a certain number of times between fill ups? And to that degree I guess the gas gauge itself does something similarly?

3. Has anyone noticed cold outside air coming into the cabin through the vents? Normally I will recirculate the air to eliminate the incoming air, but it's gotten annoying to have to do this every time. Am I doing something wrong? I very well could just be an idiot :)

4. Does anyone ever feel like their heated seats just don't work very well?

All that said, I really do love the car, it's just a lot to understand. Looking forward to being a member!

1. As others have said, this is where your plug-in range is depleted and you're in regular hybrid mode. IIRC this happens at about 20% of total battery capacity, and it'll keep the battery between 14% and 22% - That range is what's represented by the solid blue battery with no mileage number superimposed on it. You can see what's going on with electricity vs. gas at that point by pressing the leaf button at the bottom of the touchscreen and choosing "Power". It'll also tell you, when the engine's running, WHY the engine is running. Pretty cool.

2. I think most of the people here are assuming you mean the mileage on the battery icon in the left screen, but I don't think that's what you're asking - If it is, that number is based on battery temp and charge and your recent driving habits. I think what you're asking is the range listed at the bottom of the right screen, which is simply the electric range plus the gas-electric hybrid range based on what's in your tank. It does NOT assume any charging at all besides what's in the battery right now, so every time you plug in between now and the next time you fill the tank, that range will be added to the number you see. So, if your range says 300 miles right now but you plug in 10 times between now and when your tank is empty, you probably won't be filling up for 500 miles or so (assuming 20 miles per charge).

3. Yes. There is a fan in the back of the cabin that cools the battery using cabin air (you can hear it running sometimes when the engine is off). I think when that fan runs, it sucks air through the vents in the front of the cabin. When it's this cold out, that's noticeable! (I wish that when it was this cold, that fan would run in reverse - The outside air would cool the battery faster, and the air coming into the cabin would be a bit warmer.)

4. YES!!! I always have my seat heat on full (3 bars) and while the heat is perceptible after several minutes, it NEVER gets to what I would call "warm". It only gets to a stage where the seat isn't colder than my skin. One of the most disappointing things about this car to me. Given what others are saying, maybe you and I have defective seats!

1. As others have said, this is where your plug-in range is depleted and you're in regular hybrid mode. IIRC this happens at about 20% of total battery capacity, and it'll keep the battery between 14% and 22% - That range is what's represented by the solid blue battery with no mileage number superimposed on it. You can see what's going on with electricity vs. gas at that point by pressing the leaf button at the bottom of the touchscreen and choosing "Power". It'll also tell you, when the engine's running, WHY the engine is running. Pretty cool.

2. I think most of the people here are assuming you mean the mileage on the battery icon in the left screen, but I don't think that's what you're asking - If it is, that number is based on battery temp and charge and your recent driving habits. I think what you're asking is the range listed at the bottom of the right screen, which is simply the electric range plus the gas-electric hybrid range based on what's in your tank. It does NOT assume any charging at all besides what's in the battery right now, so every time you plug in between now and the next time you fill the tank, that range will be added to the number you see. So, if your range says 300 miles right now but you plug in 10 times between now and when your tank is empty, you probably won't be filling up for 500 miles or so (assuming 20 miles per charge).

3. Yes. There is a fan in the back of the cabin that cools the battery using cabin air (you can hear it running sometimes when the engine is off). I think when that fan runs, it sucks air through the vents in the front of the cabin. When it's this cold out, that's noticeable! (I wish that when it was this cold, that fan would run in reverse - The outside air would cool the battery faster, and the air coming into the cabin would be a bit warmer.)

4. YES!!! I always have my seat heat on full (3 bars) and while the heat is perceptible after several minutes, it NEVER gets to what I would call "warm". It only gets to a stage where the seat isn't colder than my skin. One of the most disappointing things about this car to me. Given what others are saying, maybe you and I have defective seats!

Again great answers, thanks to all who have joined this thread thus far! Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions as I may have a couple more as we go along.

I'm gonna have the seats checked as I noticed yesterday my left front mid-speaker is out so I'm taking it in next week anyway. I'll let you know if they find anything with the seats, but likely not.

But to clarify, yes I was referring to the range in the lower right hand corner of the right info panel.

Just and added note: for item 3, the range is based on the estimated EV range (varies with the driving style and temp, etc.), plus the estimated range on the gasoline engine, which is based on what is known as the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE). The car keeps an estimate of the MPG being obtained, based on the mileage you get. I don't know how far back it goes, but certainly more than just the current tank.

I have no idea how they calculate this for those Energi users who are very seldom on the gas engine. For a normal car or hybrid, the gas engine is used a lot and the computer can get an idea of your normal MPG.

Again great answers, thanks to all who have joined this thread thus far! Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions as I may have a couple more as we go along.

I'm gonna have the seats checked as I noticed yesterday my left front mid-speaker is out so I'm taking it in next week anyway. I'll let you know if they find anything with the seats, but likely not.

But to clarify, yes I was referring to the range in the lower right hand corner of the right info panel.

Hi saleen436,

I want to check into some additional assistance for your seats and speaker. Do you have the appointment already set up for next week? Either way, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Ok so after my first fill up, my range said 450ish miles. That seemed low to me especially since when I got the car from the dealer it was around 600.

So, now the car jumped to 470 miles after 100 miles into the tank. Does it take time for the range to add additional gas? It's been about one week since I filled up.

It's more likely that because the car has so few miles, it was unable to accurately calculate the range, so you got your 600 number.  Once you have driven it for a time on gas, it computes an average and can calculate from that.  The more miles you put on it the more accurate your range will be to your average driving style.

Edited by Rhynri

One thing I have noticed about the heated seats with my (1 day old) 2015 FFET.  When using heated seats, I could hear a "fan" running on mine (I also have the cooled seats option).  My wife's 2014 has heated seats only and I have never heard a "fan".  My butt couldn't really tell much difference though between the two....LOL.

It's more likely that because the car has so few miles, it was unable to accurately calculate the range, so you got your 600 number. Once you have driven it for a time on gas, it computes an average and can calculate from that. The more miles you put on it the more accurate your range will be to your average driving style.

Good assumption Rhynri. Makes sense so I'll buy that. Let's keep it rolling...

Does the Energi have an option to defrost while also heating the floor vents like all other cars do? When I'm running the defrost and I choose the floor vents as well the defrost light turns off. Do we not have the capability to do both simultaneously?

And this fan thing is killing me. It's constantly blowing out cool air so I need to close my vents when not running the heat. Grrrr

One thing I have noticed about the heated seats with my (1 day old) 2015 FFET.  When using heated seats, I could hear a "fan" running on mine (I also have the cooled seats option).  My wife's 2014 has heated seats only and I have never heard a "fan".  My butt couldn't really tell much difference though between the two....LOL.

I've been wondering if that's the difference between those who say their heated seats are almost too hot, and those who say their heated seats are barely perceptible.

I have the heated and cooled seats and the heat is pathetic - Might as well not even be there, really.

If this theory is correct, the following have heated/cooled seats: EnergiCCAATS, Saleen436, and me

And the following have heated (but not cooled) seats: Rhynri, Hybridbear, Doug0716, jeff_h, and openair

Can any of you confirm/deny this? Saleen436, what did the dealer say about your seats?

I have the heated and cooled seats and the heat is pathetic - Might as well not even be there, really.

If this theory is correct, the following have heated/cooled seats: EnergiCCAATS, Saleen436, and me
And the following have heated (but not cooled) seats: Rhynri, Hybridbear, Doug0716, jeff_h, and openair

You may have a good point flyingcheesehead. I have heated (not cooled) seats and like jeff_h does I start out on 3 but after a few minutes I lower to 2. With dress slacks I lower the heat to 1 or it feels too hot to me.

I was on a business trip last week and Avis gave me a Chevy Cruze with leather and 3 stage heated seats. Those were terrible. The seats took forever to start warming up. They never got warm enough. My drives were short but I would rather have had cloth seats without heat than those "heated" leather seats in the Cruze.
  Edited by murphy
Fixed quote

I've been wondering if that's the difference between those who say their heated seats are almost too hot, and those who say their heated seats are barely perceptible.

Can any of you confirm/deny this? Saleen436, what did the dealer say about your seats?

Taking it in this week. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, but every day I hold out hope that they will fire up. My fear is that they'll check functionality and say it's fine and chalk it up to personal preference. I'm a gadget guy so those extra benefits like heated seats and steering wheel meant a lot to me and it's been disappointing thus far.

I'll definitely report back once I know what they say.

I use 3 to start and quickly get set it to 1 once I notice the heat. I would then assume that the heater has an issue. Odd that it would be that way for both seats. They should be independent for heating issues.

Weather has a lot to do with it for me. I've filled up and had over 830 miles for a new tank and as little as a low 600's. From about December through early April, battery mileage is down to 2/3rds the summer.

My lifetime average has dropped this winter from the high of 99.4 to 97.8 now on over 24,000 miles so movement in the average is slight now.

Taking it in this week. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, but every day I hold out hope that they will fire up. My fear is that they'll check functionality and say it's fine and chalk it up to personal preference. I'm a gadget guy so those extra benefits like heated seats and steering wheel meant a lot to me and it's been disappointing thus far.

I'll definitely report back once I know what they say.

Once you have an appointment set up, go ahead and send over the info requested before (VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.) I'll send this up the chain. :)

Meagan

Well, kinda what I figured. They're ordering a new speaker, so that's fine. But the seats fired up at a temp between 95 -105 degrees where the spec is between 75 - 105 or very similar.

Unfortunately I just don't feel that translate to my "seated" parts :) Pretty disappointing but whatever. Not much I can do about it I guess.