Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

So here's the deal:

Ford will replace US 3G modems for any vehicle that needs it. However, there's two catches:

1. You will have to pay for the 4g modem. (Dealer price is ~$238.84)

2. Only people still under the free trial get it installed for free. If not under the free trial, you have to also pay for labor. (Labor time is given as 0.7 hours)

2014-2018: 5 year free trial

2019: 2 year trial

2020: 1 year trial

Details sent to dealers is in the R21b09 attachment.

If still under the free trial, you should have gotten an owner letter, also attached.

r21B09softpost.pdf r21B09FordOwnerLetter.pdf

Edited by j8048188
edit thread title

• j8048188 changed the title to 4G Modem replacement details

Got my letter today so I called up the local service center to get scheduled. Any idea on the 4G upgrade kit part number? The service center wasn't sure if it would be a covered service cost but I quoted the part at the bottom of page 1 on the letter stating the labor costs are covered, even if the modem itself is not. He still recommended that I consider installing it myself, so I want to be sure I've done all my homework ahead of time.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, theterminator93 said:

Got my letter today

On 11/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, j8048188 said:

2. Only people still under the free trial get it installed for free. If not under the free trial, you have to also pay for labor. (Labor time is given as 0.7 hours)

2014-2018: 5 year free trial

2019: 2 year trial

2020: 1 year trial

If still under the free trial, you should have gotten an owner letter, also attached.

If I understand this correctly, it seems most FFEs are no longer under the free trial.  Assuming they start counting from the build date, only some 2017s (those built after ~November/December 2016), and all 2018s will get the free labor (and owner letter).

Does this have any impact on if you use the myFordMobile App to see how charged your car is or is this just for if you pay for your car to have a data plan of some sort? I am a bit lost as to what the role this 3G/4G replacement part plays in the cars function. I have a 2018 ford fusion energi and got the letter yesterday.

If you're connecting your car to Wifi hotspots wherever you park it and it has a way to report its status to Ford's servers, I would imagine you would be able to use the MFM app still. But if the car is anywhere without a Wifi or cellular data connection, it won't be able to send data/receive commands.

I don't think the car connecting to Wifi reports that stuff via that data connection. I believe connecting to wifi is only for Sync stuff. My car is 2018 and I got the letter saying it's free installation but I have to pay for the modem. And the OP attached a PDF which shows that in order to install it you have to use software called OASIS which I don't believe any consumers have access to so you can't really install it yourself. I still remotely start my car from my iPhone and Apple Watch all the time so I really want this. I also use the location services quite a bit to see where my kids are and make sure they aren't going places I don't approve of.

This post and thread is saying that MyFordMobile will be gone, replaced by FordPass:

"Once the 4G modem is installed, customers will be using the FordPass app to communicate with the car. So that's the end of the line for the MFM platform/apps. Not terribly surprising, since all of Ford's other vehicles with modems use FordPass."

"My biggest remaining question [...] is how much of the functionality from MFM will be available in FordPass."

Hi, I contacted my dealer and was quoted $320 for the part.  Yikes! Is this what folks are finding? They can get the part in a few days and have ordered a couple already. 

They are going to see if they can get Ford to kick in some for part of the cost. I have only owned my 2020 six months (May 2021). I highly doubt they will.  

Love the car and only getting gas when I go out of town! It is more comfortable than my 2018 Lincoln MKX I traded for it. 

At least I will have a use for the Ford Pass rewards from the car purchase which will cover $100 or so.  

I checked out the functions for the Ford Kuga which is the Escape in Uk/Europe. The app looks just like the Lincoln app (of course) and the functionality is the same. It looks good and includes the battery charge status, location and etc. The Lincoln app worked way faster and better than MFM. Also like that the functions are free for the life of the car as of 2019. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:03 PM, GreySkies said:

Hi, I contacted my dealer and was quoted $320 for the part.  Yikes! Is this what folks are finding? They can get the part in a few days and have ordered a couple already. 

They are going to see if they can get Ford to kick in some for part of the cost. I have only owned my 2020 six months (May 2021). I highly doubt they will.  

Love the car and only getting gas when I go out of town! It is more comfortable than my 2018 Lincoln MKX I traded for it. 

At least I will have a use for the Ford Pass rewards from the car purchase which will cover $100 or so.  

I checked out the functions for the Ford Kuga which is the Escape in Uk/Europe. The app looks just like the Lincoln app (of course) and the functionality is the same. It looks good and includes the battery charge status, location and etc. The Lincoln app worked way faster and better than MFM. Also like that the functions are free for the life of the car as of 2019. 

I just went to my dealer and paid the $320. Kinda steep but I use my app all the time for remote starts, location, etc for different purposes. So I kinda needed to do it. I still am not quite sure exactly about the FordPass conversion. I have FordPass for my wife's Mustang and I'm assuming that the Mach-E uses FordPass as well for all it's electrified stuff so we should be fine getting all the functionality. I wish I knew more info about it but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'll report back on here with pics/screenshots once it gets setup.

I have my antenna replacement scheduled for Friday. I will post how it goes and what features I find in the app after the conversion.  BTW, I would not bother calling the 1800 number in the letter. It was an exercise in futility.  They do not have much info beyond the letter. Ironically their info when I called today still says MyFordMobile for the car and they did not have any info on the FordPass conversion or the functions it will have for the car.

My car was the first for the local dealer.  At first, they forgot to provision the new modem properly. After, it worked like the Lincoln Way app did for my Lincoln.  Looks very much like the the Ford Escape app features minus a bit because the Escape is Sync4 and this is Sync3.  Btw, when entering your VIN in the Ford Pass app, you can just scan the bar code in the drivers side door sill.  It is so much faster than MyFordMobile!!!  Just like Lincoln Way was for my old Lincoln I sold to get this car.  I do not miss my old gas hog - except the amazing Revel stereo.

Here is a list, I am sure it is not complete:

Bottom menu is Home, Vehicle, Map, Account

Home:

Lock/Unlock

Start

Roadside Assistance

Map:

Map of where car is with handy charging station search feature, gas and parking

Vehicle Information:

Address location  of car (click on the address for a map)

Charge Status and Gas along with estimate to empty

Departure Time (set air and heat etc and optimize charge times

Tire Pressure Monitoring (no levels like I had for my Lincoln)

Charge Settings and Times

Charge Level notice

Charge logs

Service and Roadside Assistance

Saint Schedule and guides

Service History

Vehicle Info

Driving Data and Journeys

EV Data (miles, fuel Econ, Brake score (missing kilowatts used at least I did not see it, it could be in the Journeys)

Account:

You can add Ford charge station and management

Ford Connected Services

Ford Pass app catalog (Pandora, Heart Radio, City guide etc)

Messages and Alerts

• 3 weeks later...

I had an appointment at the local dealer yesterday morning to have this handled. Apparently I am the first for this voluntary recall they have seen as well.

They never ordered the part so I left without having anything done. They quoted me $318 + tax for the part by itself. If the dealer price is $240 I think they're just rolling the cost of the labor into the cost of the part, but I guess that's no surprise. ?

They are to call me when the part arrives to reschedule the install. We'll see how they fare...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got my car back and by the time I got it the techs were all gone for the day. 

I went to the FordPass app and added my car with the VIN (Scan in door jam). 

I went to Activate and I got an error immediately that said it can't activate. It said make sure car is in plain view of the sky or something. 

Waited about 10 mins and tried again. Same thing. So I deleted my car from FordPass app and tried again, this time typing my VIN in manually.

Still same problem wouldn't get pack the Activate Vehicle screen.

Me being in IT/Tech I thought maybe the car just hasn't registered with the servers. So I called FordPass help support and they told me I had to take the car back to the dealer and the techs will help me get it setup.

I was halfway home and knew there was no one at the dealership anymore that day so decided to just forget about it until the next day. 

The next day I got in my car and it still showed the Activate Vehicle on the app so I hit it and walla it said "notification sent to vehicle". I stayed in the car for about 10 more mins and nothing popped up. I had to go so I just shut off the car and went and did my errand. Came back and as I started to pull away from the parking spot it said "XXXXXX is wanting permission to control this car" something like that. I hit approve. I then got an email stating my car was added to my FordPass app however the app still didn't show anything. Just said pending. I went to the gas station to get some gas and figured I would just refresh the app and sure enough my car showed up with all the buttons to lock/unlock/start the car.

The other menu had all the other options like location, odometer, total distance until empty for battery and gas tank, etc.

I notice under Status it doesn't show the tire pressures but maybe this data isn't synced with the app (my wife has a 2020 Mustang and it shows tire pressure in all the tires on the app). So overall it's working fine.

Although there is one issue, if you look at the attachment you can see at the top it keeps saying "It seems some information is missing. To retrieve it, try tapping refresh". I've done this many times over the course of the day and nothing changes. Not sure what information it's referring to.

IMG_0740.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the modem upgrade to 4G at a cost of $755.70 Canadian . To install Ford Pass I had to delete Apple Car Play. I now can't use Apple car play which means no music from my phone , no messages, no Waze. I am very angry. However, the letter said that My Ford Mobile would not be functional after the end of February. I am going to try to restore Apple Car play. It will probably mean no Ford Pass. I wonder if I needed the modem upgrade at all. The Canadian price was a ripoff.

Curious, for some reason, Ford told me that my VIN was not included.  I've got a 2016 Fusion Energi (purchased new in Feb 2018).   My fore mobile app told me that the 3G was being discontinued and i searched and found this thread. When I called Ford, they told me that the NHTSA did not pass my VIN to Ford to be included and that I should call the NHTSA and ask why.  Ford gave me the NHTSA phone number.  I called the NHTSA and they told me that since it wasn't a recall (it's only a "Customer Satisfaction Program" (21B09) that it has nothing to do with the NHTSA (Ref# 484687).  

Does anyone have an idea why my 2016 Fusion Energi isn't included?  the documentation clearly states that all 2014-2020 Energi manufactured in Hermosillo are included...

I use the app all the time.

The same thing happened to me.  The app today has a notice "Application Decommissioned" warning that the 3G network and app will stop working this month.  I have a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi with only 11,000 miles.  I contacted Ford and was told my VIN is not included in the discounted/free upgrade.  I also contacted a dealer and they want $300 for the part and $400+ for the installation.  I don't understand why I have to pay $700+ to restore features that I already paid for.  I used to own a 2014 Energi.  The same thing happened with that model.  AT&T made changes that caused MFM to no longer work.  When it happened then, there was a free upgrade from Ford to fix the issue.  Why does it cost now?

Just one question - if I don't upgrade the modem, will the "value charge" function still work or will the car always start charging the moment I plug it in? That's really the only thing I care about.

When my 2016 Fusion Energi had to be upgraded from 2G to 3G, this feature got really janky but I made peace with it when I got my 2019 Fusion Energi and saw it wasn't any better. Ford has been really short-sighted with all of this. Almost makes me reconsider selling my fresh-off-lease car for a premium if I can find a good replacement. I just love everything else about this car.

Edit: According to the 2018 press release announcing the 2019 model, all 2019 MY and beyond should already have a 4G modem in them. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/20/sleeker-smarter-2019-ford-fusion.html

Edited by river-wear
Added 4G MY availability