Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 2/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, muzicman61 said:

Thanks Frank... my VIN showed no recalls.  I don't get how your 2017 FFE was eligible but mine is not.  Frustrating.

None of this makes sense.  I purchased the 2017 in June of 2017.  So, I assume its eligible until then.  Who knows.  I don't understand why the 2017 is eligible but my 2020 with only 12,000 miles isn't.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, muzicman61 said:

That's about the same time I purchased mine.  The only thing I can think of is my vehicle was an Executive Demo (titled only to Ford).  But that really shouldn't make any difference.  When I get time, I'm going to call the Service Manager at my dealership and ask him to dig into it further.

Who knows what the reason is.  I've called Ford's Customer Relationship Center several times and they won't do anything except lookup the VIN.  Its seems they have been trained quite well to be polite but provide no escalation channel if you believe your VIN is missing from a recall/CSP.  The only thing they will tell you is contact your dealer.  Then when. you contact a dealer, they want you to contact Ford.  Very frustrating.

Sounds just like computer hardware manufacturers vs Microsoft... Dell tells you to call MS.  MS tells you to call Dell or HP or Lenova... same concept.

I wish I could find one person who has a 2017 FFE Titanium that is on the recall list.  Preferably someone who bought their FFE used.  That's the only thing I can think of why mine is not on the list is that I technically bought it used as it was an "executive loaner" or whatever they called it.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, 19Energi said:

After having the modem upgraded to 4G I cannot see anything on the second page of the app pertaining to odometer, location, fuel/battery levels. I've tried resetting and reinstalling the app, everything and still nothing.Screenshot_20220203-192026.thumb.png.0fd9d4209e88ead2668f9b9591bb6746.png

I've heard that some people have gotten it to work. I called Ford pass yesterday and the woman said that she doesn't see any connectivity from my vehicle. So I'm not sure if it will eventually connect. ?

On 2/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, muzicman61 said:

Ford Pass hasn't reported any information/status on my 2017 FFE for over a year now.  I was actually hoping the 4G upgrade kit might solve that but now I'm skeptical.

My understanding is FordPass doesn't collect data on FFE's without the 4G upgrade.  In fact, FordPass didn't originally support FFE's at all which is why FFE's were still using MyFord Mobile while the other Fusion models were using FordPass.  In addition, and likely because of this, the only Fusion models still being built with 3G modems were the Energi's.

Edited by Frank Monroe

Hello, please let those who have the 4g modem replaced on the Ford service point out - what kind of modem do you have, what part number?

"Some charging scheduling features (preferred charging times) via FordPassTM are not currently available, but will be available with the update until Summer 2022." copied from ford usa website.

Edited by FusionManiac

On 2/10/2022 at 7:13 PM, Frank Monroe said:

Also, keep in mind, the 2017 that I traded in for the 2020 also was in the recall.   The problem is, my newer 2020 was not.

Frank

I am in the same boat as you. 2020 Ford Fusion Energi. Not in the program. Still under factory warranty.

I spoke with my dealer about my options.

Part $318 + tax

Labor $120

PROBLEM!!! Ford is advising to NOT install this in 2020 vehicle outside the Customer Satisfaction Bulletin due to connectivity and software issues.

He told me they can install it but when they try to update they may brick(Freeze) the software on your car and not be able to get it back to normal.

He figures ford is still trying to figure how to make all the software jive in the newer cars and there may be a later customer satisfaction program again.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, zepzoso said:

Frank

I am in the same boat as you. 2020 Ford Fusion Energi. Not in the program. Still under factory warranty.

I spoke with my dealer about my options.

Part $318 + tax

Labor $120

PROBLEM!!! Ford is advising to NOT install this in 2020 vehicle outside the Customer Satisfaction Bulletin due to connectivity and software issues.

He told me they can install it but when they try to update they may brick(Freeze) the software on your car and not be able to get it back to normal.

He figures ford is still trying to figure how to make all the software jive in the newer cars and there may be a later customer satisfaction program again.

Thats part of the problem.  The Energis were never ready for FordPass.  I think they are in a rush now to try to fix it.  In addition to that, Ford doesn't make the Energis anymore.

I sure wish I could get my dealer(s) to give me that price.  My total from dealers around here will be $750.

I sent an email to an executive at Ford letting her know I have had three different Energis over the past 10 years.  I also told her the main reason why I keep purchasing the car is for the remote functions.  She called me last Friday and said she would try to do something and I would hear from her this week.  So far, she has not called me back.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:35 PM, theterminator93 said:

I called up the local dealer I had previously visited about getting the job done - apparently my spam call filter blocked their attempts to let me know the part came in. So I'm taking the car in on Wednesday to have them install it. Fingers crossed.....

As if you could write on what part numbers you have the TCU replaced

On 2/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, muzicman61 said:

Hard to believe Ford was still putting 3G modems in the 2020s.  Well, maybe not so hard to believe since it's Ford.

They were only doing this with the Energi version of the Fusions.  Its because the FordPass software didn't support some of the functions provided in MyFord Mobile.  So, they kept them on 3g for that.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, Locutus said:

After sending a Ford executive an email about the situation with my 2020 Ford Fusion Energi, a person from the Executive Office of Ford just called me.  For is going to upgrade the modem free of charge.

That's amazing. I wish I could get them to figure out my battery problem on a car with less than 40,000 miles and in Southern California where weather isn't the issue like people keep saying (freezing temperatures affect it), I don't have freezing temperatures.

Can you share with me in PM the email?

On 2/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, Locutus said:

After sending a Ford executive an email about the situation with my 2020 Ford Fusion Energi, a person from the Executive Office of Ford just called me.  For is going to upgrade the modem free of charge.

Would you please PM me this person's name and email? 

2020 FFE owner here . . 

I followed in the prior posting the link to the Mojio device many manufacturers are using to get past the end of service 3G issue and it is unfortunate that Ford did not take that simple path in that it seems use of the Mojio device for the vehicle side of things makes installation nearly instant (plugs into OBE connector). They then could have done some simple app integration so that MyFord Mobile would access the FFE functions remotely via that device’s pathway.

With regard to MyFord Mobile as of this morning when one clicks on the app a big blue screen appears “This app has been decommissioned.”   Comically when I go to Ford Pass and enter the VIN of my FFE it then instantly tells me I must use MyFord Mobile and forces me to the App Store to download it.   One would think Ford management would be horrified as to this insulting customer experience.  Brings to mind the old line: “does anyone test this stuff?”

On my end unless Ford picks up both parts and labor for the 4G upgrade on my vehicle I will be taking the matter to our state’s AG.  Since 2015 I have purchased 4 new Fords (including the 2020 FFE) and will not accept Ford’s fee to upgrade (parts or labor) approach..