Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 3/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, FusionManiac said:

Try to replace GWM with a newer one, I have GWM - GATEWAY MODULE A - HG9T-14F642-AB, I will replace it with LJ5T-14F524-BG, which supports HS4 CAN.

Thank you for reading my posts and for contributing the fix idea.  

The “newer one” LJ . . .is an interesting idea, but from all the other posts I have been reading on various forums (in addition to this one and the Cmax one) I gathered that by going with a “KS” TCU I was too new and that I needed to find a “H….TCU”   This includes quite a bit of chatter about the H type TCUs in the official Ford program being retrofitted from 2017ish Escapes.

So my “part 6”

Someone posted the TCU config from the official Ford install and I so I updated my “K” TCU with that, did resets, etc., but still no modem serial number showing in Sync.

I found and purchased a “H” (specifically a “HL3T-14G229 . . .”that unlike my “K” (which has the two antenna connectors) only has the one (so is not a hot spot).  When that arrives my plan is to update that H with the firmware and configuration that has been published as used by Ford for the official conversions which supports value charge, etc.

Hopefully I will then be able to offer for sale my “K” TCU and the original 3G TCU as perhaps someone with another need may find them useful ?

Thanks again!

I will try to go into newer parts, I have Fusion Energy in 2017 and I had:
TCU - HS7T-14G087-EC
GWM - HG9T-14F642-AB
Now I will exchange them for European parts, because I imported the car from the USA to Poland:
TCU LV4T-14G229-DP
GWM LJ5T-14F642-BG
PIFA ANTENNA LJ6T-19K351-BB
LTE ANTENNA
ROOF ANTENNA - SHARK
The parts come from the Ford Kuga EU (Escape USA) 2020.

Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 06-43-53 NOWY MODUŁ STEROWNIK INTERFACE GPS FORD KUGA MK3.png

Edited by FusionManiac

On 3/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, jtex said:

Thank you for reading my posts and for contributing the fix idea.  

The “newer one” LJ . . .is an interesting idea, but from all the other posts I have been reading on various forums (in addition to this one and the Cmax one) I gathered that by going with a “KS” TCU I was too new and that I needed to find a “H….TCU”   This includes quite a bit of chatter about the H type TCUs in the official Ford program being retrofitted from 2017ish Escapes.

So my “part 6”

Someone posted the TCU config from the official Ford install and I so I updated my “K” TCU with that, did resets, etc., but still no modem serial number showing in Sync.

I found and purchased a “H” (specifically a “HL3T-14G229 . . .”that unlike my “K” (which has the two antenna connectors) only has the one (so is not a hot spot).  When that arrives my plan is to update that H with the firmware and configuration that has been published as used by Ford for the official conversions which supports value charge, etc.

Hopefully I will then be able to offer for sale my “K” TCU and the original 3G TCU as perhaps someone with another need may find them useful ?

Thanks again!

What is the best way to update the firmware on those?  I can look at my HJ5T-14G087-UF modem that I installed and can see that the latest firmware available is the -UM in Forscan, but can't seem to find a way to go thru that long process of loading the firmware in, unless I'm using Forscan wrong, which is very possible.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, Cactusmatt said:

What is the best way to update the firmware on those?  I can look at my HJ5T-14G087-UF modem that I installed and can see that the latest firmware available is the -UM in Forscan, but can't seem to find a way to go thru that long process of loading the firmware in, unless I'm using Forscan wrong, which is very possible.

The toggle between setting configurations when in the Forscan programming  mode (the blue chip ) versus updating firmware is in the upper left just to the right of the car with the “i” on it.  Basically the programming mode has the two modes of configuration change & firmware update in an up/down toggle next to the log button.   So if you see configuration and Programing with white space under just click on configuration and Programing and it will allow you to flip over to firmware upgrades.    Then below you click on the little triangle and it goes into the firmware mode including allows you to pre-download files, do a connection test, etc.

Also some have recommended using the latest beta of Forscan.   Whatever route you pick, the released, the beta, or whatever. . . . there are plenty of very valid cautions about the risk you run when flashing these devices via Forscan including battery strength, laptop reliability, etc.  You can inadvertently “brick” your module when doing the firmware update.  Just sharing the very valid cautions others have shared with me.

Also be prepared to watch progress for a couple of hours ?

On 3/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, Cactusmatt said:

The default public releases of ForScan do not have module update functionality. This is locked behind beta builds and they also require paid extended licenses if memory serves (currently unavailable due to the Russia shenanigans). As @jtex mentioned, there are plenty of caveats and cautions the ForScan team puts out there concerning this functionality and is why it is currently restricted by beta builds and paid licenses.

And for the TCU update to -UM you have to be especially cautious as it is a long 2 1/2 hour update. The vehicle will go completely dead during this process so no engine running or DC-DC converter operation at this time. You MUST use a battery charger to keep the vehicle powered during this process. Laptop should also be plugged in and any power saving functions turned off.

Edited by cr08

A bit late to make this response, but concerning the DIY upgrades and AsBuilt configurations, here's some notes I have as a C-Max owner with the HJ5T-14G087-UF TCU with some help from a few fellow C-Max owners who have done the official upgrade through their dealer and have posted their AsBuilts:

The TCU has two main AsBuilt blocks to focus on:

754-01-01 and 754-02-01 - The remaining blocks can be ignored as they appear to be just 'data storage' bits that are changed as the TCU operates.

Going backwards, 754-02-01 -should- be set to 00A0 - As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in here that would be vehicle specific and this should work for both Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi models alike

754-01-01 for us C-Max owners is configured to B842 - The last two bits are involved with designating the vehicle architecture so it can communicate properly with the rest of the vehicle. 42 identifies it as a CGEA 1.2 vehicle. I'm not familiar enough with the Fusion to know what architecture it uses. 62 should configure it as CGEA 1.3. 82 configures it for C1MCA. Those are the 3 most common architectures in Ford's vehicles. Someone more fluent in the inner workings of Fusion's can confirm this.

Another note for block 754-01-01 is the first bit. B enables the radio but also indicates the vehicle is equipped with a Sync 3 APIM. Change this to A if installing in a Sync 2 equipped vehicle. The second bit 8 identifies the vehicle as a PHEV which should remain the same.

(As a note, ForScan lists '6' bits for each of those blocks. The last two are checksum bits and will be ignored. Focus on the first 4. When writing, ForScan will complain about the data being incorrect or such, continue anyways and it'll automatically rewrite the checksum bits on its own)

Part of this research was also done using CyanLabs' AsBuilt databases. The 'J' series TCU DB is here: TCU-J Database - CyanLabs - Even though this is a J series and we're working with H series TCU's, the documented AsBuilt bits seem to line up so the assumption has been that it is close enough to go by. Thankfully AsBuilt changes aren't normally going to break anything and can be easily reverted if something does not work.

Example ForScan AsBuilt page with the appropriate blocks highlighted:

TCU_As_Built_2.png.2a289d97b222da4aeb5f69cb83ed6b92.png.7af9a5aff4abe9cf9f59db7acc2632a8.png

Edited by cr08

On 3/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, cr08 said:

A bit late to make this response, but concerning the DIY upgrades and AsBuilt configurations, here's some notes I have as a C-Max owner with the HJ5T-14G087-UF TCU with some help from a few fellow C-Max owners who have done the official upgrade through their dealer and have posted their AsBuilts:

754-01-01 and 754-02-01 - The remaining blocks can be ignored as they appear to be just 'data storage' bits that are changed as the TCU operates.

Going backwards, 754-02-01 -should- be set to 00A0 - As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in here that would be vehicle specific and this should work for both Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi models alike

754-01-01 for us C-Max owners is configured to B842 - The last two bits are involved with designating the vehicle architecture so it can communicate properly with the rest of the vehicle. 42 identifies it as a CGEA 1.2 vehicle. I'm not familiar enough with the Fusion to know what architecture it uses. 62 should configure it as CGEA 1.3. 82 configures it for C1MCA. Those are the 3 most common architectures in Ford's vehicles. Someone more fluent in the inner workings of Fusion's can confirm this.

Another note for block 754-01-01 is the first bit. B enables the radio but also indicates the vehicle is equipped with a Sync 3 APIM. Change this to A if installing in a Sync 2 equipped vehicle. The second bit 8 identifies the vehicle as a PHEV which should remain the same.

(As a note, ForScan lists '6' bits for each of those blocks. The last two are checksum bits and will be ignored. Focus on the first 4. When writing, ForScan will complain about the data being incorrect or such, continue anyways and it'll automatically rewrite the checksum bits on its own)

Part of this research was also done using CyanLabs' AsBuilt databases. The 'J' series TCU DB is here: TCU-J Database - CyanLabs - Even though this is a J series and we're working with H series TCU's, the documented AsBuilt bits seem to line up so the assumption has been that it is close enough to go by. Thankfully AsBuilt changes aren't normally going to break anything and can be easily reverted if something does not work.

TCU_As_Built_2.png.2a289d97b222da4aeb5f69cb83ed6b92.png.7af9a5aff4abe9cf9f59db7acc2632a8.png

Much thanks cr08!

For anyone trying this on a 2020 FFE I can confirm that the original 3G TCU had in the first segment 754-01-01: B862

and BTW on that 3G TCU there were no other lines shown for it in Forscan.

I tried all of the known good TCU config you and others have shared on the “K” series (has two antenna connectors so supports hotspot) without success.   Other than Forscan tools I have also swapped back and forth to the original 3G TCU and value charge (obviously only via the car’s Sync 3 screen) returns just fine complete with modem ID when the original 3G is once again connected during my swap back and forth tests.

So the next step on my end will be with an “H” model.   More to come in a few days.

For another time . . .my process on the state’s AG side of things.  That two major regional dealers are clueless on this, no letter from Ford (even something along the lines of “you pay for this and we will pay for that”) is certainly a red flag for the customer satisfaction side of things from Ford.   We have spent quite a bit on Ford vehicles in recent years . .and while I can’t blame them for 3G going away . . .I doubt if I will ever buy another vehicle from them given this customer abandonment that would have been so easy to remediate.

Many thanks CR08!

My Summary and current results:

2019 Fusion Energi

Replaced modem with a HJ5T-14G087-UF from a 2017 Escape.   As figured I had to change the setting to 754-01-01: B862.   754-02-01 I left it at 00E0 because that was the default and since there is no AsBuilt number for it I figured I'd leave it alone.   I was able to unlock / lock AND start the car but every time I did the remote start it reported that it wasn't able to start it, even though it had started the car.   I was not able to set charge times and as soon as I clicked on the options it told me the app wasn't responding.  I also had a vehicle alert for low washer fluid that I couldn't seem to clear (even though it was not active in the car itself.)

When CR08 posted his 754-02-01 data today I went out and changed mine to 00A0.  Everything was the same for awhile until about an hour ago.. All of a sudden my vehicle alert cleared and now I'm able to see and select departure times.   However when it tried to send the times to the car it stayed on the loading screen and spun around for awhile and said Fordpass wasn't responding.   It's progress but I'll keep trying.    I still get the error when I try to remote start, even though it starts the car.   I'm also NOT getting any of the current charging details like how long until charged or anything like that.   I'm hoping that shows up soon.

I also am not able to set any GO times or anything in the car itself, or add value charge times through Sync in the car.

It's something new every day so far.  But for $120 + $9 for the LTE antenna I'm not going to complain too loud.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:12 PM, jtex said:

part 5

I did the standard module resets via Forscan many times as well as full Sync resets.

My Sync 3 has been updated to current 3.4 build.

So summary is that while the TCU is definitely alive with Forscan updating it, changing config, reading operational values, etc. for some reason the APIM (and Sync) do not "see" an onboard modem.  As others have reported I can't even within Sync activate value charge   Note that I did put the old modem back in temporarily and value charge reappeared.

Regarding the replacement modem I am having all this fun with . . the reseller here in the US said it came out of a 2019 Fusion (obviously not a FFE) sourced here in TX.

So unless anyone has any "silver bullet" config ideas my theory is I am somehow up against the "old versus new bus" issue and I have to find an older non-access point (so single antenna connector) 4G modem (none available on eBay) and attempt to flash it with the current firmware.

Ideas/suggestions?

Long post alert!

Happy to see another fellow traveler trying to blaze the trail on this LTE modem upgrade. I've got a 2017 C-Max Energi and have posted plenty at fordcmaxhybrid forum (and BTW I'm still butthurt that the admin of these forums never restored the fordcmaxenergiforum, nor any of its content. There was so much great info posted there that is gone forever).

I had a KT1T TCU I picked up really cheap last year when I first caught wind about the 3G shutdown and potential demise of MFM. A week or so ago I finally dusted off Forscan and my OBDLink EX and installed it.

I had the same exact experience as you. Having read the entire f150forum sync connect thread last year (hours of my life I'll never get back) I remembered a bunch of posts about the "K" TCUs and how they don't work in older cars because they only communicate over HS4CAN, which is too new for our cars. What you have to do to get it talking with your vehicle is downgrade it to the firmware for the JL3T TCU, which uses exactly the same hardware. There is some basic info posted on the f150forum thread, but I don't blame you if you don't want to trawl through it.

You need:

JL3T-14G139-CT.vbf (that's the latest version, but JL3T-14G139-CR.vbf also works) for the Strategy

JL3T-14G144-CT.vbf (or JL3T-14G141-CR.vbf) for the ECU config

JX7T-14G141-AA.vbf for the Secondary Boot Loader

Download from here or via Forscan's download function

Takes about 2 hours with the OBDLink EX, and yes you must have the car on a 6 Amp minimum charger and your laptop on a charger as well, and turn off standby mode, windows updates, etc.

After it's done, your K TCU will behave like a J TCU and its ESN will show up in Sync. And as long as you get the 754-01-01 line in the asbuilt set properly then you should be able to activate FordPass. Since your TCU was showing authorized even though you had not authorized it to your FFE, you should actually set the 754-01-01 to B863 and write the change. If you monitor the TCU PIDs you should see the auth status in Factory mode. That clears out any old authorization from a previous vehicle. Then change it back to B862 and write it--the auth status will then go to Wait for authorization. Then you're ready to add the car to FordPass and hopefully you'll get the Activate button. 

So, I did this last week and pretty soon was able to do the remote start/lock/unlock/horn honk, as well as see the odometer, fuel level, battery gauge and range/D.T.E. 

BUT

What is MIA: any of the MFM-specific stuff Ford recently brought over to FordPass. Not only no value charging/Go times but no charge log, no trip log, no notifications of charging completion, etc. I'm getting all the stuff that Ford's normal ICE vehicles get (plus HVB charge level/range), but none of the EV goodies I was really wanting. I think that Ford only supplies that data to "HJ5T" TCUs. 

For grins, I just tried downgrading the K TCU to the HJ5T strategy, but it failed just prior to erasing the old firmware (no harm done--it just didn't flash). I take that to mean that it's not compatible, which isn't totally surprising. Worth a shot though.

If you feel like trying it and have taken all the precautions (and it sounds like you have the know-how) then you might experiment with downgrading your K TCU to the JL3T firmware and see if your experience mirrors mine. I have downgraded to J firmware, back up to K firmware and down again to J, all without any incident (just a lot of time!)

One difference with the FFE is it seems your cars use CGEA 1.3 architecture, as evidenced by your TCU's 754-01-01 value (B=Sync3, 8=Plugin Hybrid, 62=CGEA1.3). The C-max is on CGEA 1.2. So it's possible that you would have some more/different working functions with the K/J TCU than I did. 

One feature I had hoped would work was getting TPMS values in FordPass. That feature is only present in the J and later TCUs. But all my tire pressures showed up as 0. It might work for you though given you're on the newer architecture.

Anyway, long story short is that it appears that to get the EV-specific stuff in FordPass with orphaned MFM vehicles you truly do need an "H" TCU (FCC ID: FAN). I can't say that with 100% certainty because there is no official documentation about any of this, but I'm pretty sure that the J (and K->J) TCUs won't cut it. However, they should be fine for regular HEVs or for folks that just want the remote start/lock/unlock functions and other basic info.

It's a bummer though because H TCUs are sort of rare on the second-hand market. Where did you find yours?

P.S. Also, I'm not sure that grounding the bingfu antenna will get rid of that DTC. I ended up picking up an official Ford PIFA antenna (the older style, not the flat one Ford is providing with the retrofits) and despite dangling by its cable in mid air (i.e. definitely not grounded to the car's chassis), I am no longer getting the DTC on that antenna jack. So not sure what the difference is, but there does seem to be something the Ford antenna provides that the bingfu doesn't. Not that the DTC is a big deal--the bingfu seems to do just fine pulling in signal.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, cr08 said:

Hello, I use UCDS and it is as you write, only I can see what I am changing.

275432994_686994216055515_28081276336664150_n.jpg

275647029_1029347221263098_3192187708166188949_n.jpg

275203423_3193774427578112_5540236931255004472_n.jpg

275234005_307750144615263_3199261136633524364_n.jpg

Thanks both bookemdano and FusionManiac

In the two years I have owned my 2020 FFE I have only used the “find my car” function in MyFordMobile once (at a large airport parking lot), but I use daily the ValueCharge function to take advantage of overnight rates.   Then about twice a week I will toggle to “charge now” if before we head out to dinner I have time for a second charge which then allows for an electric ride to/from the local diner.   I never use the for pay public chargers as their rates around here don’t make financial sense given the car’s great normal hybrid fuel economy (even with current gas prices).

So it seems my only two choices are (feel free to push back if you disagree):

1) install the “H” TCU I ordered (I snagged it on eBay by checking a few times a day), update its firmware, etc. or

2) leave the 3G in so that while I would no longer have a connected car ? I can still do ValueCharge ? 

Hopefully later this week or into the weekend I will have another post on my progress.

Yes, I too have some tech experience, but the interior body panel work for this project  is no fun at all.   

BTW indeed the F150 forum does have great information, but we all really appreciate the pioneering experts  in the Cmax and FFE forums that have brought it all together in a concise fashion for us.  Much thanks!

Edited by jtex

On 3/14/2022 at 2:04 PM, JamusDemus said:

I'm not sure if anyone's still paying attention but my Energi was build in August 2013. The notice says the vehicle has to be manufactured October of 2013 or later. The dealership can get the kit but they don't know if it will work on Ford Pass. I had no problems using everything on My Ford Mobile for (glorious) years.

Can anyone tell me if the date is a problem for connecting it to Ford Pass? I don't want to install it if it's not going to work.

Build date of December 2012 on mine ?

After a LOT of convincing I got my local dealership to charge me to install it. It went in and was programmed without an issue. After I picked up the car I used the connected card SDK website to authorize the car and it was good to go: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/dashboard

It even kept my old vehicle name from MyFordMobile automatically, I didn't have to reset that part. The app works fine, including lock and unlock and remote start.

Doing some additional research on some of this, I have found that according to the '20 Fusion Energi brochures, Ford should have equipped these with 4G hotspot capable TCU's already. Which contradicts the 21B09 CSP that lists these model years as needing the upgraded modem.

For anyone here who owns a '20 Fusion Energi:

1) Can you confirm if you had used MyFord Mobile or FordPass for the remote access/vehicle status functions prior to the shutdown last month? Did they potentially keep the functionality separate up to that point and used FordPass for the hotspot stuff and MFM for the vehicle status/remote access functions?

2) If you have access to ForScan, would you be willing to document the TCU part #'s and calibration/strategy levels and if ForScan reports a newer available calibration level? Regardless if it's the older TCU or upgraded one. Please advise if this is hotspot capable or not.

Edited by cr08

On 3/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, cr08 said:

Doing some additional research on some of this, I have found that according to the '19 and '20 Fusion Energi brochures, Ford should have equipped these with 4G hotspot capable TCU's already. Which contradicts the 21B09 CSP that lists these model years as needing the upgraded modem.

For anyone here who owns a '19 or '20 Fusion Energi:

1) Can you confirm if you had used MyFord Mobile or FordPass for the remote access/vehicle status functions prior to the shutdown last month? Did they potentially keep the functionality separate up to that point and used FordPass for the hotspot stuff and MFM for the vehicle status/remote access functions?

2) If you have access to ForScan, would you be willing to document the TCU part #'s and calibration/strategy levels and if ForScan reports a newer available calibration level? Regardless if it's the older TCU or upgraded one. Please advise if this is hotspot capable or not.

I'm not sure about the brochures.  But the 2019 and 2020 Energi's did not have 4g.  In addition, the remote functions of FordPass did were not available.  You had to use MyFord Mobile.  My understanding this was due to FordPass not being ready for the extra features of the Energi models.  The other Fusion (non energi) had 4g modems and fully functioning FordPass.  My 2020 Energi was just updated using 21B09 and now FordPass works.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, Locutus said:

I'm not sure about the brochures.  But the 2019 and 2020 Energi's did not have 4g.  In addition, the remote functions of FordPass did were not available.  You had to use MyFord Mobile.  My understanding this was due to FordPass not being ready for the extra features of the Energi models.  The other Fusion (non energi) had 4g modems and fully functioning FordPass.  My 2020 Energi was just updated using 21B09 and now FordPass works.

Upon further review, only the '20 documentation indicated 4G hotspot functionality was available on Energi models -in addition- to the MyFord Mobile functionality. '19s and older only list the hostpot functions on the Hybrid or ICE only trims.

2020_FusionPlugInHybrid.pdf (ford.com)

2020 Fusion Tech Specs (ford.com)

It'd be strange if they decided to populate the vehicles with TWO TCU's, but clearly Ford's no stranger to weird decisions like this. ? Hence why it'd be interesting to get direct confirmation from anyone who owns a '20 Energi.

Edited by cr08

Under the assumption that there would be a 4G modem in the 2020 Energi, would it also be safe to assume that it should have an entry for 754-02-01?   If I select a VIN# for a car that is for sale (2020 Fusion Energi) and go to the motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt and take a look it doesn't list a 754-02-01 entry.    If you look up a random regular hybrid fusion there are 754's all over the place, but the 2020 Enegi (just like my 2019 before my modem install) there is but one single 754-xx-xx line (being the 3G modem).  

Unless for some reason they would put all that secret 4G stuff somewhere else in the AsBuilt

I think that's just a misprint in those materials. The 2020 Fusion brochure specifically lists MyFordMobile in the Fusion Energi's specs. 

The reason for that is because at that time FordPass had none of the EV functionality the Energi models needed. And Ford knew the Fusion was about to be discontinued, so they didn't want to invest the money in either adding EV functions to FordPass in time for the release of the 2020 Energi, nor qualifying a 4G modem for MFM. I think by then they'd already decided to let MFM die when AT&T sunset its 3G network--hence the insulting "1-year agreement" called out in the brochure. Even more insulting is that by the time Ford came up with the 21B09 CSP, many of the 2020 Fusion Energis were just outside their "1-year agreement" and weren't included in the program. 

Edited by bookemdano

I can confirm with certainty that my 2020 FFE (Titanium with the top package) was built with only the 3G modem.   The only wifi aspect of the car is that in can be a wifi client (in one’s garage for example) of your home’s wifi for Sync.   The car itself has no wifi hotspot functionality at all.   The 3G modem (until Feb 22) strictly served for MyFordMobile connectivity.   This weekend I hope to be installing my just acquired “H” TCU, following all the instructions shared, and after the wait period being able to remotely control the charge profile setting as that is my only reason to have the car “connected.”

Odd sidebar. . .In 2015 I had purchased a top optioned Fusion Hybrid Titanium (regular Hybrid, not Energi).   IMHO it was trimmed out nearly as nicely as a Lincoln.  Other than Ford’s silly sheet metal converted wheel nuts (which I replaced in the first year) it was a great car.   When I heard the Fusion was being canceled I went to the same dealer to trade in that 2015 for a new 2020 Fusion TItanium Energi with the top packages as well.  For the “around town” benefits of the FFE’s battery vs just the hybrid it seemed right, but as some may already know the 2020 FFE Titaniums even with top packages (2019 too?) were drastically “de-contented” so missing were: under-hood sound insulator, under-hood side water seals, rear floor mats, secondary seals on all doors, double compartment center arm rest, 120 volt outlet, and cheaper interior door handle trim.   Even the sales rep was embarrassed when he saw the differences.   After 2 months, about $1000,  lots of time with the parts guys, and a couple of eBay buys I was able to bring the 2020 car to the 2015 trim level.   Yes, I also replaced 2020’s wheel nuts. 

On 3/18/2022 at 6:28 PM, jtex said:

I can confirm with certainty that my 2020 FFE (Titanium with the top package) was built with only the 3G modem.   The only wifi aspect of the car is that in can be a wifi client (in one’s garage for example) of your home’s wifi for Sync.   The car itself has no wifi hotspot functionality at all.   The 3G modem (until Feb 22) strictly served for MyFordMobile connectivity.   This weekend I hope to be installing my just acquired “H” TCU, following all the instructions shared, and after the wait period being able to remotely control the charge profile setting as that is my only reason to have the car “connected.”

Odd sidebar. . .In 2015 I had purchased a top optioned Fusion Hybrid Titanium (regular Hybrid, not Energi).   IMHO it was trimmed out nearly as nicely as a Lincoln.  Other than Ford’s silly sheet metal converted wheel nuts (which I replaced in the first year) it was a great car.   When I heard the Fusion was being canceled I went to the same dealer to trade in that 2015 for a new 2020 Fusion TItanium Energi with the top packages as well.  For the “around town” benefits of the FFE’s battery vs just the hybrid it seemed right, but as some may already know the 2020 FFE Titaniums even with top packages (2019 too?) were drastically “de-contented” so missing were: under-hood sound insulator, under-hood side water seals, rear floor mats, secondary seals on all doors, double compartment center arm rest, 120 volt outlet, and cheaper interior door handle trim.   Even the sales rep was embarrassed when he saw the differences.   After 2 months, about $1000,  lots of time with the parts guys, and a couple of eBay buys I was able to bring the 2020 car to the 2015 trim level.   Yes, I also replaced 2020’s wheel nuts. 

I will be very interested in hearing your results and what populates in Fordpass.  I have the "H" TCU and after 5 days or so I'm still waiting for the remote control of the charge to populate, along with the status updates of charging banner to appear.  

On 3/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, jtex said:

Do you know if any of that stuff was dropped prior to 2020? I remember reading somewhere that the 2019 FFE had seat memory and adjustable lumbar and those were dropped for the 2020. But I don't know if Ford had been cost-cutting on the Fusion for a while or if it was cheapened just for 2020.

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/18/2022 at 6:28 PM, jtex said:

Thank you for that confirmation. That's rules out the path I was hoping for those trying to use the hotspot equipped TCU's but seems all Ford's PHEVs never had the option (despite the information in the brochure) which does make sense at least based on the listed models and model years in the 21B09 CSP. I think short of seeing if ForScan is aware of a new calibration on the J/K TCU's and trying them, they're probably going to be a lost cause if you want the PHEV related functionality.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:11 AM, cr08 said:

Thank you for that confirmation. That's rules out the path I was hoping for those trying to use the hotspot equipped TCU's but seems all Ford's PHEVs never had the option (despite the information in the brochure) which does make sense at least based on the listed models and model years in the 21B09 CSP. I think short of seeing if ForScan is aware of a new calibration on the J/K TCU's and trying them, they're probably going to be a lost cause if you want the PHEV related functionality.

Therefore, you need to change the GWM to newer ones .

Also, if you replace GWM with a newer one, tcu J will work fully by changing HS3Can to HS4Can.

Fords that have newer TCUs beginning with L (Lx4T-14G229-xx) also have newer GWMs starting with L (Lx5T-14F642-xx). The newer GWMs support the new HS4Can, the older ones do not.

Edited by FusionManiac
add

On 3/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, FusionManiac said:

Therefore, you need to change the GWM to newer ones .

Also, if you replace GWM with a newer one, tcu J will work fully by changing HS3Can to HS4Can.

Fords that have newer TCUs beginning with L (Lx4T-14G229-xx) also have newer GWMs starting with L (Lx5T-14F642-xx). The newer GWMs support the new HS4Can, the older ones do not.

Has it been confirmed that even with the new J/K/L TCUs combined with the updated GWM that the PHEV functions such as Value Charging and Go Times/Departure Times work? That was the original issue we ran into with the used H series TCU's at least with the C-Max which was with the older calibration levels, those functions did not work. It wasn't until the newer calibration was used, specifically the -UM calibration that is supplied on the official units supplied as part of the 21B09 program, until these features worked.

This is why I started going down the rabbit hole of checking on if the Fusion's were ever provided hotspot functionality from the factory. It would then imply their upgrade path would supply a compatible hotspot capable TCU that would be compatible with these functions. But since this appears not to be the case, it is highly unlikely an updated calibration exists on these TCU models to provide that specific PHEV functionality since they were never intended to be installed in any existing PHEV model. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this. So far this is assumptive based on what investigative work we had to do on the C-Max forum with the H series TCU's.

Edited by cr08

Update on progress with my “H” install on my 2020 FFE:

1) connected the HL3T-14G229-AP and saw modem ID in SYNC. Also in Forscan the TCU indicated “ready to activate” ?

2) began flashing process to take it to “-UM” (which I understand is required for the PHEV functions) but on repeated attempts (at least 5) anywhere from 10% to 34% load progress (getting about 1%/min upload speed) Forscan would report “operation failed” ?

3) tried  “-UJ” (most recent prior package Forscan would download) and it failed at 36% ?

Given I was successful previously using my setup on a 2hr update on the “K” TCU I was trying previously I don’t think it is my setup.

Going to try a few more “-UM” attempts and then will put the 3G modem back in and give up on 4G for my FFE.  At least I will have control via Sync of value charge.

Edited by jtex