Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi MPG v C-Max Energi

Cody_T

In 2019, my wife and I bought a used 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium (10K miles at purchase). Thrilled with everything about the C-Max, except the style, I bought a CPO 2017 Fusion Energi Titanium (35K miles at purchase) in 2020 thinking I'd experience better fuel economy and an improved driving experience.

After two years of driving both, I'm experiencing the following (C-Max currently at 30K miles, Fusion currently at 60K miles). My wife was teaching remotely so I have been switching cars every other week so I could keep both moving.

• Fuel Economy (only gas; pure electric hasn't been an issue)
    • Fusion
      • 34-35 MPG combined (5 day/week 30 mile daily commute, 10 miles local roads and 20 miles 65 MPH highway)
      • 36 MPG highway (100+ mile highway only road trips)
    • C-Max
      • 42-45 MPG combined (5 day/week 30 mile daily commute, 10 miles local roads and 20 miles 65 MPH highway)
      • 41 MPH highway (100+ mile highway only road trips)
  • The C-Max is significantly peppier on both gas and electric, even with the better fuel economy. The Fusion feels sluggish compared to the C-Max, as if the Fusion was holding a bunch of extra weight.
  • Not fuel related, but C-Max is significantly more comfortable to drive. My head touches the roof in my Fusion while I have several inches above my head in the C-Max. I joke with my wife that my vanity cost me an extra $6K and lost me headroom, MPGs, and peppiness to get a Fusion instead of another C-Max.

Assumptions: I accelerate similarly in both vehicles and drive at a similar speed during the commutes, I use ECO cruise control on longer highway trips, stock rims/tires (17" on C-Max, 18" on Fusion), unleaded standard gas, fuel injector cleaner every other fill up, Fusion has heated steering wheel and cooled seats which I don't use, C-Max has CEL due to a bad O2 sensor, full service synthetic oil changes from Ford dealership, plugged in and charged every 3-4 days due to having a small driveway.

I still love my Fusion Energi, but I'm hoping someone can help me bridge the MPG and peppiness gas between my Fusion and my wife's C-Max. I thought they were on the same powertrain, but I may be mistaken. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

C-Max owner here, but I can confirm the drivetrain is identical between the two vehicles so the difference in driving feel and efficiency is likely elsewhere. Could be software/calibration related, tire/tire pressure, placebo, who knows. Maybe couldn't hurt to do a full vehicle reset (disconnect the battery and have both vehicles relearn everything from scratch) and compare from the same starting state.

I will say it is very odd seeing your Fusion get LOWER mileage compared to the C-Max given the hooplah many years back where Ford copied the Fusion Hybrid/Energi EPA ratings over to the C-Max and got slapped around because the C-Max got worse mileage numbers in the real world. There was a whole class action thing where owners at the time got a refund from Ford for their 'inconvenience'.

Comfort-wise on the C-Max I can fully agree. Mine's a 13 SEL (fully loaded trim) with the leather heated seats. The seating height is just PERFECT in my opinion. Higher than most sedans/compacts which I hate but it isn't full on CUV/SUV. The leg angle is just right and doesn't feel like I'm sitting low in an F1 car. lol. And I've road tripped it many times and never come out feeling uncomfortable at the end of a drive to boot. I'm also 6ft and often have other passengers of similar height and the headroom both front and rear is perfect. I've been very pleased with it and don't plan to ever get rid of her unless maintenance/repairs get to be expensive.

Edited by cr08

That's strange.  I also have a 2017 Fusion Energi, and my EV-Later average mileage is just about the advertised 42, maybe hitting as low as 35 for periods when I'm really hustling.  On one long trip, I wanted to see how accurately the computer calculated trip mileage, so I did a fillup-to-fillup test, and the computer and my calculations agreed almost exactly, 44.1 mpg.

These are only highway figures--I don't have much occasion for city driving that's not EV-Now.

I agree with jj2me, you should be seeing at least equal, if not better mileage in the fusion.  65MPH on the freeway on cruise control should net above 40MPG.  That, along with your comment about sluggishness in the fusion tells me something is not right with your fusion.  I don't know what, but since you're at 60k miles, I'd start with a tune-up (new plugs, etc) and maybe some fuel system cleaner and go from there.

Thank you for all of the feedback!

My Fusion has been like this since I bought it CPO and I admittedly just assumed it was a result of being differently sized vehicles (wheel base, slight weight difference, aerodynamics, slightly different tires/rims). I only recently started doing some research which prompted me to look into this more. I'll see if I can rope a dealership into look at it before my warranty is up; I'm sure they'll push this off an a non-issue hahaha