Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is it me or the car?

lokicat

This is what I'm doing to close the port door on my Fusion Energi... While still holding the charging cord in my hand immediately after unplugging it, I use my other hand to close the port door. That way I close the door before I put the cord down. Hopefully I won't ever forget to close it. If I find it open again, then I know it has come open on its own or from someone opening it. 

73mach1, don't remove the port door! I would talk to someone at Ford first. 

Hi, Murphy. I don't want to turn the blue port ring light off but am curious how you know that it can be turned off. It's silly, but sometimes I've thought that it would be kind of neat if the driver could "flash" the blue port ring light to another driver.

Page 364 in th Owner's Manual, bottom of right column.

Charge Point Light Ring

On the MFT screen

Settings->Vehicle->Charge Point Light Ring

There are three options:

On

Off

Limited

I like the conversation on this topic!  With all the technology gadgets on the Fusion Energi I think Ford should have made the charge port door open via a button on the dash and on the key fob.  Don't Teslas and Volts do that?  

Volt owners complain about the push button release for their charge door. GM is rumored to be deleting it on the 2014 Volt, at least that's what Volt owners are hoping for.

Volt owners have had high failure rates for the release mechanism. The release also has a habit of freezing shut in the winter.

Having a release on the inside makes it less convenient to start charging. You need to do one more step and have your keys available to start charging.

This is what I'm doing to close the port door on my Fusion Energi... While still holding the charging cord in my hand immediately after unplugging it, I use my other hand to close the port door.

That's what I did too so I don't forget to close the door

1) Left Hand on charging handle, remove charging cord

2) Right thumb on door indent. Press door close

3) Store charging cord.

Do not skip Step 2

3) Store charging cord.

Do not skip Step 2

Maybe I should take notes ...why didn't I think of that :doh:  LOL... That process is working for me too.

3) Store charging cord.

Do not skip Step 2

This is how I do it, as I am a victim of driving with the charging port door open 3 times.  Since I have now trained myself to close the door with cord in hand, I haven't had any further instances of keeping the door open.

As far as leaving the chargeport light ring on while driving - that's illegal due to the color, thus, that isn't an option.  I thought it'd be cool too and would love the attention, but the only colors allowed on a regular vehicle while in operation on public motorways is white, amber, and red.

The problem with the port is that it is not obvious how to close it.  I had to stop my salesman from trying to rotate it to close it.  Most people can figure out that pushing the indentation will open the door.  Pushing the same indentation to close it is apparently not as obvious.

So, I wonder what is going to happen to the paint on the indentation after months or years of opening the thing multiple times per day??

Hi, lokicat. To help me to remember to charge my car, I have printed up a sign - "Plug in car". I attach it to a clip hanging from the first house door I'll see (in my garage) when I come home. Then I take the sign and put it next to the last table lamp I turn off before going to bed, so that it will remind me to plug in my car.  So far it has worked well. 

This thread has made me remember to close the port. Now I need something to remind me to plug in. Forgot to plug in twice in the past month. Maybe Ford can add a function with the mobile app that reminds us if it detects the car is at home and not plugged in.

I don't know what I did, but I will occasionally get a text from MFM telling me that my car has not yet begun to charge when at home. I haven't set up the any kind of charging profile for my location. So, I'm wondering if it just remembers when and how often you charge at a set location and sends a reminder.

Edit: I just checked under my notification settings in MFM and there is a setting for Plug-In reminder. Make sure you check that box. :-)

Edited by Griff

• 5 months later...

I have not had a problem and it's 4 degrees F at the moment.

However my car is in an unheated garage.

If water got into the latching mechanism it may be frozen in place.

When you push on the indentation does it move in at all?

Do not try to rotate the door by hand since that can damage the latch if it hasn't been released.

Edited by murphy

When I push on it, it will indent like always but it won't pop out or rotate. It's about 4F here.

It's possible that ice is blocking the rotation.  Warming it up to let it release will be difficult with the temperature that low.  A hair dryer on it's lowest heat setting may work.  The problem is if the door is heated too fast it may pop the paint off of the door if the paint warms faster that the underlying metal.  Driving in hybrid mode until the environment warms up may be the best option.

Is anyone having problem with their charge port door. Mine is stuck and I can't get it open. It happened on one of the coldest day we are having on the East Coast. Is this a coincidence? Any thoughts or trick on getting it open. Thanks.

Phatman,

Once you get it warmed up a bit, if it is not frozen closed and is something else, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll lend a hand.

Ashley

A quick update. I initially tried to warm the port door with a hair dryer. Thinking maybe it's frozen shut. It didn't work. I had just closed it 25 minutes ago from an unheated garage at work before coming home. I gave up trying to open it. Overnight temp got down to 3F. The next morning, the port door popped up but did not 'spin' open. I was able turn it open.

Ashley, Are you officially with Ford? Do you know if there are hydraulic components with the charge port door opening mechanism? Thanks.

A quick update. I initially tried to warm the port door with a hair dryer. Thinking maybe it's frozen shut. It didn't work. I had just closed it 25 minutes ago from an unheated garage at work before coming home. I gave up trying to open it. Overnight temp got down to 3F. The next morning, the port door popped up but did not 'spin' open. I was able turn it open.

Ashley, Are you officially with Ford? Do you know if there are hydraulic components with the charge port door opening mechanism? Thanks.

Phatman,

I replied on your other thread. :)

Ashley