Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

On 5/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, bookemdano said:

Well I mean yeah, a nuclear war may reduce the importance of LTE telematics on our cars a little bit ?

In all seriousness though, let's try to keep this thread on-topic.

I agree, just venting frustration. Hopefully this will be resolved before the end of the world or my extended warranty expires!

On 5/4/2022 at 2:28 PM, muzicman61 said:

I found this a bit interesting... yesterday I decided to add my 2017 FFE to Ford Pass.  Despite the fact I don't have my 4G modem yet.  Ford Pass app said "That's A Ford Electric Vehicle" and told me to download the MyFord Mobile app.  Of course, that app is now decomissioned.

What the ???

LOL, thats the original behavior it had since it was released several years ago.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, muzicman61 said:

I found this a bit interesting... yesterday I decided to add my 2017 FFE to Ford Pass.  Despite the fact I don't have my 4G modem yet.  Ford Pass app said "That's A Ford Electric Vehicle" and told me to download the MyFord Mobile app.  Of course, that app is now decomissioned.

What the ???

That's similar to the times I get a web link from a company and when I click it, it comes back '404 error'.  Like you don't even know your own web page is nonexistent?

Muzicman, I also initially felt I would go without a modem upgrade, but now find my plug in vehicle will not charge. I tried resetting by disconnecting 12v battery, removing and replacing modem fuse, and trying to reset FordPass (but, I can't get FordPass to activate). Still cannot charge, and today's engine code is U0111 (first one I've received), "Lost communication with battery Energy Control Unit module A." Can you charge your vehicle?

On 5/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, duskpearl said:

Muzicman, I also initially felt I would go without a modem upgrade, but now find my plug in vehicle will not charge. I tried resetting by disconnecting 12v battery, removing and replacing modem fuse, and trying to reset FordPass (but, I can't get FordPass to activate). Still cannot charge, and today's engine code is U0111 (first one I've received), "Lost communication with battery Energy Control Unit module A." Can you charge your vehicle?

Symptoms of a U0111 engine code may include:

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) On

Hybrid warning indicator On

Vehicle may not start or run

Vehicle may run but on gasoline engine only if hybrid.

Typically the causes for this code to set are:

Open power or ground to "A" BECM – most common

Open in the CAN bus + circuit

Open in the CAN bus - circuit

Short to power in either CAN bus circuit

Short to ground in either CAN bus circuit

Rarely - faulty control module

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/u0111 Copyright OBD-Codes.com 

Edited by Titanium Tom

On 5/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, duskpearl said:

Your car not charging has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. The only thing the modem does is give you remote access to the car's status and charging settings. I know it seems like a convenient thing to blame, but it's just not possible. The very reason Ford isn't putting more resources into this modem swap thing is because the modem really is not necessary to charge and operate the car. It's just an extra feature for convenience, nothing more.

Given that you're seeing DTC codes, I suggest you take your car to a Ford dealer to have the charging issue diagnosed (make sure you bring your charger with you in case that is the problem).

On 5/5/2022 at 7:51 PM, bookemdano said:

Your car not charging has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. The only thing the modem does is give you remote access to the car's status and charging settings. I know it seems like a convenient thing to blame, but it's just not possible. The very reason Ford isn't putting more resources into this modem swap thing is because the modem really is not necessary to charge and operate the car. It's just an extra feature for convenience, nothing more.

Given that you're seeing DTC codes, I suggest you take your car to a Ford dealer to have the charging issue diagnosed (make sure you bring your charger with you in case that is the problem).

Well, yes and no.  It will do basic charging without the modem.  But, if you purchased 240v chargers and want to use location specific charging profiles with your electric company, you need the app.  IMHO, that feature is actually better on FordPass Connect than it was on MyFord Mobile.

Edited by Locutus

On 5/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, Locutus said:

Well, yes and no.  It will do basic charging without the modem.  But, if you purchased 240v chargers and want to use location specific charging profiles with your electric company, you need the app.  IMHO, that feature is actually better on FordPass Connect than it was on MyFord Mobile.

For simplicity's sake, what I said is 100% correct. The guy I was responding to is not able to charge his car period and is blaming the modem. I was trying to explain that the modem has nothing to do with it.

Yes, for that one specific extra feature of customizing charging based on electricity rates, you need the modem. But I was trying not to muddle the issue for him.

Thank you all for your advice. It may, indeed, be just a coincidence that my issues started just as the modems were decommissioned. So, I will go to a dealer for a fix (same dealer which told me I cannot charge with a decommissioned modem). If it is determined to be a modem related malfunction, I'll not be happy with Ford for charging me to diagnose that. But, if it's not modem-related, the fix may be less expensive than a modem upgrade!

On 5/6/2022 at 12:50 AM, bookemdano said:

For simplicity's sake, what I said is 100% correct. The guy I was responding to is not able to charge his car period and is blaming the modem. I was trying to explain that the modem has nothing to do with it.

Yes, for that one specific extra feature of customizing charging based on electricity rates, you need the modem. But I was trying not to muddle the issue for him.

Understood.   I wouldn't have replied at all if it weren't for the following comment:  "The very reason Ford isn't putting more resources into this modem swap thing is because the modem really is not necessary to charge and operate the car. It's just an extra feature for convenience, nothing more."  Being notified of a charge fault or charge interruption are pretty important.  Being alerted that you car has been broken into or hit is also important.  I don't' consider these "extra for convince, nothing more."

Edited by Locutus

On 5/6/2022 at 12:51 AM, duskpearl said:

Thank you all for your advice. It may, indeed, be just a coincidence that my issues started just as the modems were decommissioned. So, I will go to a dealer for a fix (same dealer which told me I cannot charge with a decommissioned modem). If it is determined to be a modem related malfunction, I'll not be happy with Ford for charging me to diagnose that. But, if it's not modem-related, the fix may be less expensive than a modem upgrade!

Your vehicle should still charge.  After Ford abruptly decommissioned the MyFord Mobile app, I was able to charge my vehicle for several weeks before I received the modem upgrade.  Unfortunately, during that period, I no longer received notifications of charge completions so that other people could use the charger.  Of course, charge faults or interruption notifications also ceased.  But, I really shouldn't  care because these are just an extra feature for convenience, nothing more.

Edited by Locutus

On 5/5/2022 at 11:58 PM, Locutus said:

Understood.   I wouldn't have replied at all if it weren't for the following comment:  "The very reason Ford isn't putting more resources into this modem swap thing is because the modem really is not necessary to charge and operate the car. It's just an extra feature for convenience, nothing more."  Being notified of a charge fault or charge interruption are pretty important.  Being alerted that you car has been broken into or hit is also important.  I don't' consider these "extra for convince, nothing more."

I stand by what I said. The modem is not necessary to charge and operate this or any car. There are plenty of EVs on the road with absent or nonfunctional telematics. I understand it's a matter of opinion on what someone considers important, but the fact is that if it were critical to have a modem, Ford would have made this a recall, not a CSP with a small fraction of VINs covered.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, bookemdano said:

I stand by what I said. The modem is not necessary to charge and operate this or any car. There are plenty of EVs on the road with absent or nonfunctional telematics. I understand it's a matter of opinion on what someone considers important, but the fact is that if it were critical to have a modem, Ford would have made this a recall, not a CSP with a small fraction of VINs covered.

You are entitled to your opinion and so am I.  The point isn't if the modem is absolutely necessary.  The point is, customers expect to have continued use of vehicle features they paid for especially when the features are listed in the brochure, the bill of sales, the window sticker, and where touted by the sales personnel at the time of sale.  Customers do not expect these features to disappear, with very little notice,  when the vehicle is still under warranty, and when the vehicle is barely a year old. Some customers purchased this vehicle over competitor's vehicles specifically for these features.  I have had several lengthy conversations with members of Ford's Executive Office Team.  They know they stepped in it here.  Ford's seems to be the only manufacturer where recently built EV's have this problem.  Other manufacturers took care of the problem many model years ago.

Edited by Locutus

Based on my direct individual experience and from what I have learned on this forum, the related Cmax forum, and also the related F150 forum I think we can all agree:

1. To put it mildly:  Ford could have done much better on both communication and execution on this entire issue.   In my ridiculous experience: they built 2020 FFEs with 3G modems (TCU)!
  2. As is the case with all dealer service some dealers sweat the details and sadly some don’t.  In my case two major regional dealers had no idea what this was all about.  One said they would do research and call me back and they never did.  I have had dealers botch an oil change, but yet others fix for free major issues I was not even aware of . . . Enough said on that fact of life
  3. Post 3G shutdown the MyFordMobile app (MFM) has been decommissioned and will not connect to your car.  The fact that there is a workflow sequence still in the Ford system that points you to the MFM app is a bit ridiculous. 
  4. As long as nothing else is wrong with your FFE via SYNC . . . and you still have the 3G (nor dormant) modem installed . .. while in your car you can change your charge profiles for scheduled charging and toggle back and forth between scheduled charging and charge immediately when plugging in.  Adding an important clarification by another forum member, Locutus: “….you cannot setup or use location based charging profiles. That feature doesn't exist without the app.”
  5. Related to the above  . . . As long as nothing else is wrong with your car . . . It will charge with a (now dormant) 3G modem installed, but you have no remote control whatsoever of the charging process.  As related to this point and the prior: during my 3G to 4G DIY process multiple times I had setbacks (due mostly to not paying sufficient attention to details shared by other forum members) so I put the 3G modem back in so that at least I could manage the vehicle charging within the car via SYNC and each time this “manual” means via SYNC worked just fine with the dormant 3G modem back installed.
  6. As clearly documented on all these forums some dealers have been successful upgrading 3G -> 4G and thanks to the hard work of many of the forum members, Forscan, etc. many of us have successfully been able to do the 3G -> 4G upgrade ourselves.
  7. After a successful upgrade to 4G the Fordpass app does provide the essential remote control of charging functions as well as some other neat features, but as Fordpass seems to be evolving one has to be patient waiting for some improvements.  Fordpass is clearly “a work in progress.”
  8. Regarding doing the 3G -> 4G upgrade yourself (DIY) you need to: 
    1. read this forum from the beginning in great detail. (Reading the entire related CMax forum is also highly recommended)
    2. get all the correct parts and tools (including but not limited to the correct cables, a minimal 6amp battery charger for your 12V battery). . . .lots of stuff and each is important
    3. Learn how to use Forscan and and how to remove the interior trim panels (easy to find on YouTube)
    4. Follow each and every exact step. . .there are no shortcuts . . . All steps included you are in for 2-3 of hours of detailed work
    5. Be willing to accept all risks as a DIYer if you missed a step, hit the wrong key, had a defective part, problematic laptop, lightning strikes, etc, etc . . ..nobody on this forum can guarantee success for you. . . .we are all just sharing in good faith so that it may help others
Edited by jtex

On 5/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, jtex said:

As long as nothing else is wrong with your FFE via SYNC . . . and you still have the 3G (nor dormant) modem installed . .. while in your car you can change your charge profiles for scheduled charging and toggle back and forth between scheduled charging and charge immediately when plugging in. 

Yes.  But you cannot setup or use location based charging profiles. That feature doesn't exist without the app.

Edited by Locutus

On 5/9/2022 at 7:14 AM, Paul Creed III said:

I finally had successful contact with the Ford Executive Offices but, after they spoke to my dealer, that they do not recommend performing the upgrade for any VIN not under the CSP (which mine is not), regardless of who may ultimately pay for the 4G modem and labor. 

That's strange.  When they contacted me, they didn't mention any issues or any caution about performing the upgrade.  They also contacted my dealer with instructions on how to perform the upgrade.  On the very first day of the upgrade, most of the functions of MyFord Mobile were available in FordPass Connect.  Some of the functions were improved in FordPass Connect over MyFord Mobile.  However, after about two weeks, these functions disappeared and were returned a week later.  Ford contacted me to let me know.  Apparently, its a work in progress.  Everything has been working without issue for a month today.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:08 AM, Locutus said:

That's strange.  When they contacted me, they didn't mention any issues or any caution about performing the upgrade.  They also contacted my dealer with instructions on how to perform the upgrade.  On the very first day of the upgrade, most of the functions of MyFord Mobile were available in FordPass Connect.  Some of the functions were improved in FordPass Connect over MyFord Mobile.  However, after about two weeks, these functions disappeared and were returned a week later.  Ford contacted me to let me know.  Apparently, its a work in progress.  Everything has been working without issue for a month today.

That's encouraging news for my Betty White FFE. A lot of this issue is the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I'll check back with the service department again at the end of the month. It's been 77 days since MyFordMobile was decommissioned. Betty's VIN wasn't listed in the 21B09 Customer Satisfaction Program even though she was born at Hermosillo, Mexico, in December of 2018. ?

David J. Johnson

Ford Motor Company Director

P. O. Box 1904 Service Engineering Operations

Dearborn, Michigan 48121

Ford Customer Service Division November 03, 2021

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers 

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 Certain 2014-2020 Model Year Multiple Vehicle Lines 3G Telematics Control Unit to 4G Upgrade Kit.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

20211106_170848.jpg

I have the exact same car except in red and have received no notification from ford even though I bought it from a ford dealer. My 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium worked just fine with Ford Pass but, my 2019 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium can't WTF Ford. And reading the stories of bringing this to my Ford dealership is hopeless I feel that I should try to find a modem on my own and go from there. I am a pretty good engineer so maybe this a good path. Though having been a long  time self repairing person who bought the "Super Extended Warranty" I feel that this should be covered. Also sweet car Titanium Tom!

Edited by Mrdeadworry

A few months after having the modem upgrade, I have to admit I'm not using the remote features of FordPass 1/4 as much as I used MyFordMobile. I do use it to check charge status, but a major component of what I used MFM for was trip logs, cumulative mileage stats etc. We only charge the car at home and electricity here is flat-rate at all times of the day/year so we don't use location or value charge profiles either. The trip log function of FP is nowhere near as versatile as what was there in MFM since it doesn't record EV vs. hybrid/ICE miles and it requires a phone with the app to be paired to the car to record the trip data.

It would be nice if they'd reintroduce some of the lost features over time... but the Fusion is very dead and I don't put much faith in Ford to invest any time in it when their the SUV and pickup markets are where all the ROI is.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:21 PM, theterminator93 said:

A few months after having the modem upgrade, I have to admit I'm not using the remote features of FordPass 1/4 as much as I used MyFordMobile. I do use it to check charge status, but a major component of what I used MFM for was trip logs, cumulative mileage stats etc. We only charge the car at home and electricity here is flat-rate at all times of the day/year so we don't use location or value charge profiles either. The trip log function of FP is nowhere near as versatile as what was there in MFM since it doesn't record EV vs. hybrid/ICE miles and it requires a phone with the app to be paired to the car to record the trip data.

It would be nice if they'd reintroduce some of the lost features over time... but the Fusion is very dead and I don't put much faith in Ford to invest any time in it when their the SUV and pickup markets are where all the ROI is.

I agree, the trip log data is not as good as MyFord Mobile.  But, you do get separate EV and hybrid miles for individual trips.  Its under Driving Data->My Journeys->EV DATA.  And there there is a Total miles and Est. electric miles value for each trip.  Your hybrid miles is the difference between total miles and electric miles.

Edited by Locutus