Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Recall issued: 2019-2020 Fusion Energi - BECM Fire Risk

EnduroDad2k

On 10/9/2023 at 2:23 PM, MelR said:

For what it's worth, I had my car to the dealer to replace the APIM and my service writer looked into the recall. From what he could see on his end, Ford expects to have replacement parts available in 6-8 weeks to begin processing these recalls. 

But I'll believe that when I see it ...

I would assume that is likely for the "interim remedy" which is installing an inline fuse on the BCEM and reflashing the software to disable charging completely.

The final remedy is replacing everyone's HVB which will likely take awhile to manufacture since these cars are no longer in production.

Edited by tkyoshi

I just had the 12V battery go dead since I had not driven or charged (since recall letter) my 2019 FFE for about a week and a half. Does the HVB charge the 12V battery or did my 12V battery just reach eol? Charging the 12V battery now, and guess will try to drive it every day to see what happens.

Edit 10/21: Well, looks like the battery is ok for a while, let it sit for 2 days and was still 12.3V. Anyone got any good trade-in deals from Ford on like a Mach E? Not being able to charge sucks. 

Noticed some relay clicking noise from engine area when charging the 12V battery. Think it was when charge reached about 13.5V, is this normal? BTW, did charge 12V outside, just in case.

Edited by likeaw

On 10/18/2023 at 10:44 AM, likeaw said:

I just had the 12V battery go dead since I had not driven or charged (since recall letter) my 2019 FFE for about a week and a half. Does the HVB charge the 12V battery or did my 12V battery just reach eol? Charging the 12V battery now, and guess will try to drive it every day to see what happens.

The HVB only provides 12v power/topping up the 12v battery through the DC-DC converter while it is running. When the car is sitting key-off, the HVB is completely disconnected from the rest of the vehicle, leaving the 12v battery to handle things just as an ICE only vehicle.

Hi

I've been doing some follow-up on getting compensation from Ford for additional fuel related to this issue. I am in Canada and Ford Canada (the executive customer care offices?) has no compensation program in place and doesn't care that Ford USA is making some compensation payments. The agent said she would "forward my dissatisfaction (compensation required) to the appropriate department but would not identify what department that would be.

I'm interested in further follow-up on this issue and would like to communicate with other Canadian Energi owners affected by this recall. If any Canadian owners are interested in a group approach to Ford Canada, please message me privately.

Thanks

On 10/18/2023 at 3:22 PM, marjimbo said:

Hi

I've been doing some follow-up on getting compensation from Ford for additional fuel related to this issue. I am in Canada and Ford Canada (the executive customer care offices?) has no compensation program in place and doesn't care that Ford USA is making some compensation payments. The agent said she would "forward my dissatisfaction (compensation required) to the appropriate department but would not identify what department that would be.

I'm interested in further follow-up on this issue and would like to communicate with other Canadian Energi owners affected by this recall. If any Canadian owners are interested in a group approach to Ford Canada, please message me privately.

Thanks

Private message sent just now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, nlions said:

This week dealers received a Supplement #1 to this recall telling them a temporary or permanent fix is not expected till end of 2024 at the earliest. Thanks much FMC

Ugh - wouldn't even be surprised if they're dragging their heels on this..... ?

On 10/18/2023 at 11:22 AM, marjimbo said:

Hi

Thanks

PM Sent!

On 10/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, nlions said:

This week dealers received a Supplement #1 to this recall telling them a temporary or permanent fix is not expected till end of 2024 at the earliest. Thanks much FMC

This really stinks if true. I was about to sign up for my $250 but wanted an update. Wish they would just buy the vehicle back or give you really good tradein on some other ev or hybrid. I am about to park it out of the garage just to be safe.

Edit: Please allow 4-6 weeks from the time you submit your request to receive your check in the mail. (Another bummer)

Edited by likeaw

• 2 weeks later...

Created an account just to let everyone know that my buyback from Ford has been approved. I'm still awaiting the final offer, but I'm surprised they agreed to a buyback since Ohio doesn't have the best consumer protection laws. 

So my advice is if you're not happy with your car or the length of time for the remedy (or even the potential remedy itself), call Ford corporate and explain that it's unacceptable that you can't use your vehicle as initially intended until late 2024 at the earliest. Ford might just be approving these so they don't have to go through the hassle of fixing all 15k+ vehicles. Or they don't want to get caught up in a class action lawsuit.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, mcccccrazy said:

Created an account just to let everyone know that my buyback from Ford has been approved. I'm still awaiting the final offer, but I'm surprised they agreed to a buyback since Ohio doesn't have the best consumer protection laws. 

So my advice is if you're not happy with your car or the length of time for the remedy (or even the potential remedy itself), call Ford corporate and explain that it's unacceptable that you can't use your vehicle as initially intended until late 2024 at the earliest. Ford might just be approving these so they don't have to go through the hassle of fixing all 15k+ vehicles. Or they don't want to get caught up in a class action lawsuit.

Thank you for the posting this! Could you please post the Ford corporate phone number that you used. 

Hello,

I am also in Canada and own a Ford Fusion Energi 2019. This is terrible customer experience. It just shows how unprepared Ford is to manufacture EVs. I was considering buying a Mach-E months ago (before I got the recall letter) but now I really don't want to own a Ford ever again. I am contacting Ford at the email mentioned but I have been contacting them via chat and dealership for months now and as all of you know, Ford has no fixes.

My hope is that some sort of class action is going to happen or that at least Ford buys my vehicle back.

Totally agree.  I had also considered the Mach-E, but like you, I'm done with Fords. Unless they convince me otherwise.

It's a shame cause I absolutely loved the car when I first bought it. Spent almost zero on gas in first year.  Now I cringe everytime I hear the ICE start.

Let's hope we get something out of this. What a rip off.

My dealer says that Ford is in such bad shape financially because of all of the EV production costs,  they are scrutinizing every warranty repair now more than ever. He said they would only pay for Kelly tires on a warrantied repair that necessitated tire replacement on a new F150, not the Michelins it came with.  He doesn't think this will end well for us.  

On 12/5/2023 at 8:51 PM, NYIndependent said:

My dealer says that Ford is in such bad shape financially because of all of the EV production costs,  they are scrutinizing every warranty repair now more than ever. He said they would only pay for Kelly tires on a warrantied repair that necessitated tire replacement on a new F150, not the Michelins it came with.  He doesn't think this will end well for us.  

The chart in this tweet makes it look bad for Ford's and GM's survival. And that's before the new union contract eats into margins. 

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1729458525280075797?t=1xBubD_-AVMdhV5RbGwd8w&s=19

I also heard a description of the problem of updates, that the legacy manufacturers continue using outside parts suppliers, but now with software everywhere, those auto manufacturers don't have control over all the code that may need to be changed, unlike Tesla who has control of all their parts manufacturing, and software.