Ford Fusion Energi Forum

4G Modem replacement details

j8048188

So going around other communities who have went through this whole 4G TCU upgrade mess and checking in.

Got this message on my C-Max this morning. Curious if anyone on the Fusion side has received this yet?

"Due to software updates to the Fordpass app, preferred Charge Times, Departure Times, and Trip & Charge Logs will no longer be supported on your C-Max. However, you can continue to access and enjoy these features using your in-vehicle display. We regret any inconvenience this may cause."

Screenshot_20230630-130034.jpg

On 6/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, cr08 said:

So going around other communities who have went through this whole 4G TCU upgrade mess and checking in.

Got this message on my C-Max this morning. Curious if anyone on the Fusion side has received this yet?

"Due to software updates to the Fordpass app, preferred Charge Times, Departure Times, and Trip & Charge Logs will no longer be supported on your C-Max. However, you can continue to access and enjoy these features using your in-vehicle display. We regret any inconvenience this may cause."

Screenshot_20230630-130034.jpg

Sadly I received the same notice for my 2020 FFE this morning.

It astonishes me how Ford makes such horrible “customer anti-satisfaction” decisions that will end up via social media etc. adversely impacting their future sales. I will not bore all of you with the many paragraphs I could write on this, but in summary…this will be my last Ford.  Before this purchased 4 within a span of 5 years.

Edited by jtex
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well . . . . Ford just made it official and shot themselves in the foot in that with the latest rev of FordPass (on iOS) charge times and related can no longer be controlled via the Fordpass app.

So we add to the nonsense that Ford put a 3G modem in my 2020 FFE that (with the help of lots of great folks on this forum) I had to upgrade to a 4G, that now all that effort was a big waste of time and money.

Removing such connected car features so soon is very short sighted on their part.  They have not only lost me forever as a loyal customer (4 new ones in less than 5 years), but as more and more people learn about these kinds of “anti-customer satisfaction” decisions this only benefits Ford’s competitors.   

I have no idea how Ford thinks they can compete in the EV space with these kinds of decisions, but based on articles I have read about their EV inventories getting uncomfortably high it seems it is going to take them sometime to learn the importance of taking care of loyal customers.

Watching Ford abandon customers like this (combined with their exit of the car market to focus on more profitable trucks and SUV/CUVs only) has convinced me and my wife to avoid Ford in the future when it comes time for us to get a new vehicle. We will most likely get a BEV from a Japanese or European manufacturer as we also have no love of Tesla or Elon Musk. Aside from the fact that Ford has no attractive BEVs on the market (we dislike trucks, SUVs/CUVs and those subcompact "death traps"), it's clear that they take your money and run - no long term support at all.

Actions speak louder than words.

As others have said, not only did Ford just remove most of the features from FordPass for my 2020 Fusion Energi, now I received an "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL" letter from Ford waring me of the possibility of a crash or vehicle fire and that "You should refrain from charging your vehicle immediately to maintain a lower charge level in the high voltage battery, reducing the risk of a loss of motive power or vehicle fire until a remedy is available."  So, now I can't even run on battery anymore.  Ford just sucks.  I WILL NEVER, EVER EVER buy another Ford.  In addition, I will tell everyone I know of my experience and tell them not to buy one either!  Why would anyone trust their technology at this point?

Edited by Locutus

• 1 month later...

First I'd like to thank everyone on this thread who collected and shared all the info on replacing the 3G modem. Using these materials I was able to successfully install and activate the 4G modem and my 2020 Fusion Energi is connected for the first time since I bought it used a year ago!

One question I had is, have you guys been able to cancel a remote start via the FordPass app? When I remote start via the app, a banner briefly shows "Vehicle started" and then goes back to the normal screen with unlock, start and lock. There doesn't appear to be a way to shut the car off other than using the keyfob.  Pressing the Start button in FordPass does not toggle the car off.

I can deal with it if that's just how it works on cars which are not native to FordPass, but I do want to make sure I have it set up correctly.  Everything else seems to work right (lock/unlock, start, battery status, mileage, oil life, fuel level).

Thanks!

On 9/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, Animal223 said:

First I'd like to thank everyone on this thread who collected and shared all the info on replacing the 3G modem. Using these materials I was able to successfully install and activate the 4G modem and my 2020 Fusion Energi is connected for the first time since I bought it used a year ago!

One question I had is, have you guys been able to cancel a remote start via the FordPass app? When I remote start via the app, a banner briefly shows "Vehicle started" and then goes back to the normal screen with unlock, start and lock. There doesn't appear to be a way to shut the car off other than using the keyfob.  Pressing the Start button in FordPass does not toggle the car off.

I can deal with it if that's just how it works on cars which are not native to FordPass, but I do want to make sure I have it set up correctly.  Everything else seems to work right (lock/unlock, start, battery status, mileage, oil life, fuel level).

Thanks!

Congratulations on your successful install.   Indeed the collaboration with the fellow members of this forum and the CMax forum has allowed each of us to accomplish a complex retrofit in our vehicles.

Specific to your question . . . I have not found any way to cancel the remote start.   I do wonder, though, if after a remote start your vehicle will “time out” and shut down anyway if the driver with key fob has not entered the vehicle, pressed the brake pedal, and then start button.   If your vehicle does “time out” that may accomplish what perhaps you are looking for functionally.

Sadly since Ford recently deprecated the features/functionality of the app for us Energi and CMax owners by removing the charge control I find myself rarely using the app anymore.  That Ford took this action in less than 3 years after many purchased their 2020 models makes about as much sense as building the 2020 models with 3G modems.

Hopefully there will not be another feature reduction, but the sluggishness of the availability of parts for the recent safety recall has me very concerned about their overall behavior regarding the fleet of air cooled plugin hybrids.   My pure electric range has gone down from 34 miles to 29, but I am very happy with the 29 as that fits my needs for most days.  I wonder if after the recall parts are installed what will happen to the range.

Our local dealer now has a very large inventory of Mach-E vehicles that even with big mark downs are not selling.   If I wasn’t concerned they will similarly behave towards Mach E owners in the future I might have considered taking advantage of the markdowns (which I suspect will head much lower as the months go by and inventory gets out of control).

Oddly Ford recently announced a renewed focus on Hybrids and Plug In Hybrids.  Their attitude toward all of us makes me wonder.

Because of the recall and potential for fire, the missing features in the app may have been directed by Ford's legal department and may return after the recall repair according to a customer service phone call. But that wasn't in writing and talk is cheap! Hopefully, Ford's "adventurous spirit" includes customer  satisfaction and they will reinstate the lost app features once the recall is performed. The American values of freedom, outdoors, and adventure include a well designed and working app to retain customer base.20220713_122129.thumb.jpg.f63b9c52d6da3621bf3967e705861f0b.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, jtex said:

I do wonder, though, if after a remote start your vehicle will “time out” and shut down anyway if the driver with key fob has not entered the vehicle, pressed the brake pedal, and then start button.   If your vehicle does “time out” that may accomplish what perhaps you are looking for functionally.

It does. It follows the remote start timeout and other RS settings you set via the IPC.

On 9/7/2023 at 6:52 AM, Kilowattsky said:

Because of the recall and potential for fire, the missing features in the app may have been directed by Ford's legal department and may return after the recall repair according to a customer service phone call. But that wasn't in writing and talk is cheap! Hopefully, Ford's "adventurous spirit" includes customer  satisfaction and they will reinstate the lost app features once the recall is performed. The American values of freedom, outdoors, and adventure include a well designed and working app to retain customer base.

This is good to hear.  But this is the second Fusion Energy where I have had to go without the battery for two months or more.  With my last one, there was a known problem with the charge that prevented charging.  Ford produced a new model that was back ordered for months.  I am not impressed with Ford's EV technology.

Edited by Locutus

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, Animal223 said:

Thanks!

Where did you get the module and cables etc?

thanks

Purchased my FFE 2020 a few days ago, cannot get the activate button, and ford support say i am not compatible with the app so i am guessing since it was manufactured in 2019 i need the 4G modem! If I can get the parts (part numbers anyone) I can do the physical work. But what is needed on the programming/configuring side?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just traded my 2015 FFE (106k miles) for a 2020 FFE  (17k mile) and looking into the modem upgrade - actually the 20 is now going to be my son's car.  Will let you know what I find out about the modem and any possible self install.  ON a side note I also have OBDII tool and licensed copy of Forscan (that I use on my Bronco) so I'm hopeful it's that simple once installed.

Edited by Johnny Mo

On 12/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Johnny Mo said:

Just traded my 2015 FFE (106k miles) for a 2020 FFE  (17k mile) and looking into the modem upgrade - actually the 20 is now going to be my son's car.  Will let you know what I find out about the modem and any possible self install.  ON a side note I also have OBDII tool and licensed copy of Forscan (that I use on my Bronco) so I'm hopeful it's that simple once installed.

And also, let us know when we can actually use the 2020 FFE on batteries again. Its been six months.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Johnny Mo said:

So after scouring Ebay for an H TCU, I gave up and went with a JL3T from and 18+ Expedition/F150.  I also purchased the PIFA antenna from the same seller (outstanding customer service by the way) I installed everything, did a Forscan firmware update (thanks to the crew at CyanLabs for the instructions), took about 35-40 minutes, car was doing all sorts of weird stuff (wipers going, HUD crash display lighting up etc)  I checked all the as builts and settings - had my son add the app and activate the car - it immediately showed up on the sync screen that he was requesting access.  After about 5-10 minutes all of the features started populating in the app, remote start and lock, tpms, fuel level, location, scheduled start etc.  Very thankful for these forums and the people that paved the way for DIY.  Well worth the $200 or so spent on TCU, PIFA and antenna cable.

• 3 weeks later...

With the help of this thread and forum and others I was able to replace the modem and use forscan to activate it.  It is working, but I am not seeing any of the EV stuff in the App and also when I remote start it says it failes, but it more off then not does work, also I cannot stop it. Not sure If there is a asbuild I can use to get that working.  I got the factory new kit not a used module.  Ford Lincoln 3G Telematics Control Upgrade Kit to 4G VMU7Z-A00A25-E and used the TSB guide to install as the dealer would. Its is also a HJ5T telematics unit. I have a 2020 FFE btw.

Edited by dullishpage
left out model

• 1 month later...

I removed fuse #10 to disable the 3G modem.  I believe it may have been causing some issues with the 12v battery.  Pulling the fuse also disabled the keypad to unlock the door and for me, I can't say that's a real issue because in 4 years I used the keypad maybe 6 times... mostly because I was too lazy to go in to the house and get the keys.  So even though I don't use the keypad all that much I don't like the idea of not having it as a backup.

Right now I have no plans to upgrade to 4G so if I disable the 3G modem by pulling the connected wires/plugs would that be the same as pulling the #10 fuse?

Edited by JeepBaja
Clear up a few things...

• 2 weeks later...

Tossing this out there: Looks like we have official confirmation of the latest calibration available from Ford on these TCU's. Had a user post a screenshot from FJDS over on the CyanLabs' forum and looks like UP is the latest calibration level. Although now with a lot of EV functions being removed for us, it's not as big of a deal as it once was.

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/tcu-waiting-for-home-url/13279/16

IMG_4109