Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is it me or the car?

lokicat

No, it's not you. I have seen at least 2 other owners admit to forgetting to close the Fusion Energi charging port door. I have come close to it several times. Or maybe someone just pushed it open when you weren't around? Unfortunately it's very easy to do. It opens so easily. 

When I was still shopping for a plug-in hybrid, I was impressed that the Chevy Volt is designed so that the charge port door can only be opened from inside the car. I have asked a couple of Ford salesmen why Ford didn't do the same thing but of course have never received a satisfactory reply. I figure it is just a matter of time before some Neanderthal figures out how to really screw up the charging hardware. If it happens to me, I will scream bloody murder to Ford. I really wish Ford would address this now and implement some sort of "fix." 

Welcome to the forum! 

When I was still shopping for a plug-in hybrid, I was impressed that the Chevy Volt is designed so that the charge port door can only be opened from inside the car.

Well they did make the fuel door on the Energi opened from inside the car... my SE hybrid does not have that inside release, just push on it and it opens right up.  So they got it halfway there on the Energi I guess, unless maybe that's a feature on the Titanium but not the SE.

Well they did make the fuel door on the Energi opened from inside the car... my SE hybrid does not have that inside release, just push on it and it opens right up.  So they got it halfway there on the Energi I guess, unless maybe that's a feature on the Titanium but not the SE.

This is because the Energi has a different fuel system - it's pressurized.  There's no EVAP on it like traditional motors... it's a totally sealed system.  Once you hit the fuel door button on your Energi, it takes about 30 seconds before the door even opens.  So it's locked for an entirely different reason (not for security, but for safety).

This is because the Energi has a different fuel system - it's pressurized.  There's no EVAP on it like traditional motors... it's a totally sealed system.  Once you hit the fuel door button on your Energi, it takes about 30 seconds before the door even opens.  So it's locked for an entirely different reason (not for security, but for safety).

Learning has occurred.   Thanks - I pop that open each time I wash the car to get the excess water out of the there, don't think it takes 30 seconds to pop open, maybe more like 5,4,3,2,1,doink!

I wonder if there is anything we owners can do BEFORE a charge port is sabotaged? I don't know how to start a petition but maybe something like that would get their attention. 

I've seen posts saying "Well, what could someone do?" Well, I can think of a lot of things but don't want to give anyone any ideas. If the charge port is damaged, I can see Ford saying it was the owner's fault for leaving it open. But doesn't Ford have some responsibility for designing a charge port door that can be opened by anyone at any time?

I don't want to make trouble. I love the car and want it to be very successful, but I also think we should be proactive. 

Honestly, I'm unconcerned about someone doing something stupid to my chargeport socket.  I've only known one person who had problems with someone putting sugar in their gas tank (he was a middle school instructor who also worked at the high school for a bit).  I've never heard of anybody else having problems with someone tampering with the gas tanks, and a vast majority of those are unsecured.  I know of problems with people breaking in to the cars, but not so much vandalizing them.  If anything, you might get a curious passerby wondering what the chargeport door is, opens it to look at it, and walks away (it'd be nice if they'd reclose it).

After all, they can't siphon electricity from that socket, so there's really nothing they COULD do with it.

My issue with the charge port door is actually the light up ring around it.  I wish the ring were recessed inside the door opening so there would be one less gap or crevice in the body. 

After some body work to repair a delivery scratch on that fender there was a lot of wax residue between the fender and the plastic ring.  There is still some on the back side of the ring that I can't figure out how to get out.  And my previous attempts to clean out that crevice led to some owner stupidity resulting in a scratch on that fender 10 x larger than the original one they repaired.

All but a barely perceptible line remains, thankfully.  it would just be nice to have the only space be between the fender and the actual door.  Then when the door is open the ring is exposed for those who really like it for seeing the charge status from outside the vehicle.

I wonder if there is anything we owners can do BEFORE a charge port is sabotaged? I don't know how to start a petition but maybe something like that would get their attention. 

I've seen posts saying "Well, what could someone do?" Well, I can think of a lot of things but don't want to give anyone any ideas. If the charge port is damaged, I can see Ford saying it was the owner's fault for leaving it open. But doesn't Ford have some responsibility for designing a charge port door that can be opened by anyone at any time?

I don't want to make trouble. I love the car and want it to be very successful, but I also think we should be proactive. 

When charging in public, the door will be open with a big visible plug stuck in it, which would certainly call attention to it and attract vandals more than when its closed.   In fact, having a big connector sticking out would provide a convenient leverage device for a gang of hoodlums to bend and break the receptacle. 

If one is concerned about "sabotage", they would never charge in public.

When you realize what is inside the charging door, there's nothing much to do to it that can't be done to a lot of other more expensive parts of the car.  It's simply a receptacle that doesn't even connect to the battery unless the proper data handshaking is completed.  On the list of things to worry about, I would personally place this pretty low.

From my perspective, given how often I open the charging door (compared to how often I open the gas door), I think the convenience of not having to mess with an internal release greatly outweighs any perceived security risks.

I too have forgotten to close the door 2 times in the last 2 weeks, my first 2 weeks with my car.  I chalk it up to a new experience of actually plugging my car in.   I am more aware of the door now and I make sure to close it.   Funny, I too thought it might be popping open, but the more likely explanation is I forgot :)

Common problem it seems!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 47Min,

I keep old toothbrushes around for cleaning out cracks like that.  On the older brushes, you can heat the handle up with a hair dryer to bend them into convenient shapes so the bristles are exposed and easy to use.

My issue with the charge port door is actually the light up ring around it.  I wish the ring were recessed inside the door opening so there would be one less gap or crevice in the body. 

After some body work to repair a delivery scratch on that fender there was a lot of wax residue between the fender and the plastic ring.  There is still some on the back side of the ring that I can't figure out how to get out.  And my previous attempts to clean out that crevice led to some owner stupidity resulting in a scratch on that fender 10 x larger than the original one they repaired.

All but a barely perceptible line remains, thankfully.  it would just be nice to have the only space be between the fender and the actual door.  Then when the door is open the ring is exposed for those who really like it for seeing the charge status from outside the vehicle.

I don't think I have so far. However, for such a technologically advanced car, I find the charge port cheap, difficult to operate, and "Mickey mouse". Has anyone had to have it replaced???

Difficult to operate?  What method do you use to close it?   I find it quite easy to use if operated as intended.   I've seen others fumble with it because they don't know how to use it.

No problems operating the chargeport door for me either.  I open it via the indentation and close it using the same indentation.  My only irritation about it is that the indentation is eventually going to start showing scratches since it tends to spin on your finger as it opens or closes.  I try to turn my hand with it to minimize it, but it'll need a polishing a lot sooner than the rest of the car.

No problems operating the chargeport door for me either.  I open it via the indentation and close it using the same indentation.  My only irritation about it is that the indentation is eventually going to start showing scratches since it tends to spin on your finger as it opens or closes.  I try to turn my hand with it to minimize it, but it'll need a polishing a lot sooner than the rest of the car.

Russael, really???  I would love to get a video of this.   :camera:

Unless you have long, sharp nails, I don't think you should worry about it.

R

To answer the original question, "hell it could be my fault"....or maybe its a woman  :doh:.  When I first got my car, it was open all the time, I could have sworn I closed it, but now that I think about it each time and make sure I do close it, I have not found it open. I do wish the had a little indicator light in the car telling you it was open, would that be so hard ;)   

I like the conversation on this topic!  With all the technology gadgets on the Fusion Energi I think Ford should have made the charge port door open via a button on the dash and on the key fob.  Don't Teslas and Volts do that?  An indicator light on the dash indicating the charging port door is open would be a nice touch.  None of us want to look like dweebs driving down the road with the charging port open!  And if we have a button on the console to open the fuel filler door why not the charging port?  Would that be too many buttons; buttonitis?

But i can just see a design person saying, "Hey, I have a really cool idea on how to open the charging port door!  We'll make it rotate open instead of swing open like the other plug in cars.  How cool is that??"

My only gripe, and it is a small gripe, is that I have to push the indentation twice when closing the charging port.  My first push doesn't always latch the door closed.  My second push is successful, so I suppose I am not pushing the indentation hard enough the first time when I close the charging port door.  The manual doesn't tell me how much force to use!!   :)

Although we just have the focus ev and have an energi on order the wife and I both leave the door open all the time. I've found it is because we unplug with both hands to be careful when putting the charger up. Just had a guy honking at us in the rain last night all freaking out. I told her I'm just going to take the cover off. Detaches at the rotating cylinder for different color cars.

You can turn the charge ring off if you don't like it.

Hi, Murphy. I don't want to turn the blue port ring light off but am curious how you know that it can be turned off. It's silly, but sometimes I've thought that it would be kind of neat if the driver could "flash" the blue port ring light to another driver. You know, the way one can flash the high beams to signal another driver. Juvenile I suppose, but would be different. 

And I do totally agree that Ford could have done a better job of securing the charge port door. I would feel better if it could only be opened from inside the cabin. Or at least designed so that it snaps closed more firmly.