Ford Fusion Energi Forum

kWh used on a full charge

cegarbage

I have two questions.

1. When I fill up with the regular charger that came with my 2015/FFE, it completes the charge to 100% but still states it takes .2H left on 110V or .1 left on a 240V.   However, when I'm at work and use Chargepoint, it will say .0 on the 110/240 and say 100% of the charge was completed.  It looks like I'm getting a bit more of a charge on the 240 than the 110. Why is that?

2.  Whenever my car is fully charged, and depleted by driving, it normally says 5.8kWh used on the trip log. That's 17% less 7.0kWh. Is that normal?

1. When I fill up with the regular charger that came with my 2015/FFE, it completes the charge to 100% but still states it takes .2H left on 110V or .1 left on a 240V. However, when I'm at work and use Chargepoint, it will say .0 on the 110/240 and say 100% of the charge was completed.

Where do you see this? I don't quite follow...

2. Whenever my car is fully charged, and depleted by driving, it normally says 5.8kWh used on the trip log. That's 17% less 7.0kWh. Is that normal?

The car doesn't use all of the 7.2 kWh capacity. The car will not allow the HVB to go below 1.0 kWh and it doesn't charge above about 7.1 kWh. That means that at an absolute maximum you could use about 6.1 kWh from the HVB. It's also important to remember that the display doesn't round, it just truncates. So the 5.8 you see is anywhere from 5.800 to 5.899 kWh actually used. In hybrid mode the car uses the range from 1.0 to 1.5 kWh. It usually tries to keep the charge level around 1.3-1.4 kWh which is why you see 5.8 (7.1 - 1.3 = 5.8). Edited by Hybridbear

• 2 months later...

I read 8.05kWh AC charging a depleted EV mode on the 110VAC cord, charging through a P3 watthour meter. 2013 17k miles.

Using the 120 cord supplied with the car is only 72% efficient.  8 X 0.72 = 5.8.  As Hybridbear stated above the max you can charge is approximately 6.1.  5.8 is in the ballpark.

Someone correct it I am wrong.

Edited by JATR4

• 3 months later...

Hello.  New to forum and just got 2016 Energi 2 days ago.  Am trying to figure out economics.  When you talk about 7.2 Kwhr, is that what it is taking from the outlet if it is at 0 charge when started?  So, if I figure out what my per Kwhr charge is from SDGE, multiply that time 7.2 to figure out what the 20 +/- miles is costing me?   Thanks for any help.  

Hello.  New to forum and just got 2016 Energi 2 days ago.  Am trying to figure out economics.  When you talk about 7.2 Kwhr, is that what it is taking from the outlet if it is at 0 charge when started?  So, if I figure out what my per Kwhr charge is from SDGE, multiply that time 7.2 to figure out what the 20 +/- miles is costing me?   Thanks for any help.  

See post #3 above by Hybridbear and #4 by gladeplugin.  A good estimate of how much you can charge a depleted battery is 5.8 kwh.  Since the 120 volt charging cord is only 72% efficient you will use approx. 8 kwh from the wall outlet.  7.2 is certainly in the ballpark.

My two month old car always switches to hybrid mode at 5.2-5.3?  Is that normal?

In the warm season I was seeing about 5.3-5.4 usage before it switched to hybrid mode. You can typically get another 0.3-0.4 before the ICE actually kicks on though. So altogether I was getting about 5.6-5.8 on a full charge.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait until you have a 2.5 yo car like mine and a full charge for me can be 4 kwh... taking only 1.5 hours on L2. When I first got her she'd get 5+ and take over 2 hours. I have about 38k miles on mine and about 88% of that is electric. I can only hope when I go to sell it in 2 or so years they still haven't caught on to battery life in their buy back price. I suspect based on my trend to maybe have a 10 mile range by then, but we'll see.

Somehow I suspect that Ford will blame me and/or point to the lack of battery performance listing on the warranty; just like Nissan did. Only there isn't the same number of Energis as Leafs, so I doubt we have the power to get something after the fact like they did.

Edited by shaggy314

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've been getting 5.4 kwh used on a full charge. Is that about right. When it states 5.4 kwh used does it take into consideration the regen?

Assuming that is 5.4 until it switches to hybrid mode (you can typically get a few more tenths kwh until the ICE kicks on) then yes; that is completely normal. That is about what I get under ideal conditions with my 2015 @ 20k miles.

Had a nice long drive home last night from Arlington, have to say this one is probably my record longest trip at night unless I forgot about a longer one in the past..., during the day I can get more range as the lights aren't on and my record for that is closer to 35 miles.  Now that this summer is almost over, 3 years driving the Cmax looks like I got through this summer with a HVB that is still respectable for the EV miles (31948 out of 55543 total), age and cycles.  See MFM trip stats below.  I stopped by Ken's house to top it back up before the 30 mile trip home as I figured I wouldn't have a chance to make it 100% EV if I didn't. 

The 1/2 hour charge when I got home is just to get the battery back out of the hybrid and over 22% charge level actual.  I don't like to leave it sit at really low levels.

-=>Raja.

post-943-0-39583300-1474208731_thumb.png

• 2 years later...

I did a test with my 2015 on Wednesday.  65,700 miles on the car.  Estimated Range before leaving home said 23 miles.  I used 4.3 kWh and made it 16.4 miles before the car switched to hybrid mode.  This morning my car says estimated range of 29 miles.  I know that will never happen so this number means nothing.  I would say the kWh used means more and I am surprised you were told not to judge the battery on this number.

2016 energi 35k miles 4.2 KWh used on full charge. Ford is saying not to judge battery life on this number, rather EV range after full charge. Mine reads 17 miles. They say that’s within range for my car.. thoughts?

Ford says that because they know they are in hot water if you use that (kWh) number.  They are LYING to you to try to distract you.  the XX miles is nothing but a computer WAG based on previous driving, and will vary widely based on how conservatively you drive.  The kWh is the actual amount of energy used from the battery.  Whether you drive conservatively or not the total used will not vary (or vary only slightly).  I can use 4.2kWh to go 10 miles, or 20 miles, all depending on how I drive.

Don't buy the BS from Ford.

Edited by jsamp

jsamp is correct.  This morning I got in my car and it said 41.  By the time I got to work, 20 miles later, it said 5 and the full charge value was down to 34.  By the time I got back home tonight the full charge value had increased back to 40.  I drive pretty conservative and my trip to work never exceeds 45mph.  The real thing to look at is the kWh used which in my case, for the trip to work was 4.0kWh.  

Exactly! Thankfully, I have a service manager at my local dealer that agrees. We will continue to do more testing. He told me that he is up to the challenge to push Ford on this issue. With only 36k miles, my car tops out at 4.2 kWh. compared to several on this forum, mine is characteristic of a vehicle with twice the mileage. Hoping Ford takes care of this customer. This is my 7th Ford.

Exactly! Thankfully, I have a service manager at my local dealer that agrees. We will continue to do more testing. He told me that he is up to the challenge to push Ford on this issue. With only 36k miles, my car tops out at 4.2 kWh. compared to several on this forum, mine is characteristic of a vehicle with twice the mileage. Hoping Ford takes care of this customer. This is my 7th Ford.

Unfortunately you can be as right as you want, Ford won't budge.  Many people have tried with worse batteries than yours and they got nothing but the runaround from Ford.  Ford's claim is as long as you are getting anything between the stated 0 - 19 miles of range the car is fine.  

Only 1 person who I know of got a new battery, and that was years ago when this whole thing started with Ford saying "look at the miles, not the kWh."

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Ford should be held accountable.  Unfortunately even those on this website who claimed they were going the class action lawsuit route fell silent after a few months of complaining.  And the service managers eventually were stonewalled by their own parent company.  Best of luck to you.